How to cool 5-10 gal aquariums

bettafeesh21

Hi everyone,
I have 2 aquariums: a 10 gallon aquarium with a female betta and some Malaysian trumpet snails that hitched a ride from my previous live plants and I also have a 5.5 gallon betta tank that I’m currently performing a fishless cycle on. Since summer is rolling around, I was wondering about how I could cool down my aquarium without a chiller because they can be quite expensive. Additionally, I can’t really do the method where I remove the lid since I have a betta fish and they are known for jumping. I also can’t really do the screen lid and fan method because then my betta fish would be in the dark (or at least verrrry dim lighting) because I don’t have any more sources of light besides the led tank hood I have now. Therefore, I was wondering if there were any other options that could work under my circumstances. I have heard that you could put cold, wet towels on the outside of the tank to chill the water similarly to how you would cool drinks but like, I’m not too sure on how effective that would be for aquariums. Out of curiosity, would that work? And lastly, My current temp is at 82 degrees so I’m just planning ahead while it’s still in the safe zone just in case it gets a little higher.

Thanks in advance!

BigManAquatics

Honestly, your betta wouldn't mind the dim lighting, but any plants sure would.

Maybe a couple water bottles you keep cycled through the fridge or freezer to let float in the tanks to keep the water cool.

Upvote 0

bettafeesh21

Honestly, your betta wouldn't mind the dim lighting, but any plants sure would.

Maybe a couple water bottles you keep cycled through the fridge or freezer to let float in the tanks to keep the water cool.
Ah I see, I’ve just seen so many conflicting information about betta fish and lighting so I was just kinda cautious about that lol. If that’s the case then I might try that but like would the fan cause too much surface agitation that could potentially make the flow/current a little more rough or would it be ok? I forgot to mention that I have some water spangles as well so I don’t want them getting blown around too much since it’s reported that they don’t like surface agitation. I have also heard about the ice bottle method and I was thinking about that too but yet again, more conflicting information. Like I heard that sometimes it could cause the temp to swing too fast which could stress my betta out but like I’ll look into that more while my temp is still safe. Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ah I see, I’ve just seen so many conflicting information about betta fish and lighting so I was just kinda cautious about that lol. If that’s the case then I might try that but like would the fan cause too much surface agitation that could potentially make the flow/current a little more rough or would it be ok? I forgot to mention that I have some water spangles as well so I don’t want them getting blown around too much since it’s reported that they don’t like surface agitation. I have also heard about the ice bottle method and I was thinking about that too but yet again, more conflicting information. Like I heard that sometimes it could cause the temp to swing too fast which could stress my betta out but like I’ll look into that more while my temp is still safe. Thanks a lot!
The fan is kind of one of those "don't know til you try" things. I would personally keep the water bottles in the refrigerator instead of the freezer as that shouldn't be as quick as a temp swing.

Upvote 0

bettafeesh21

The fan is kind of one of those "don't know til you try" things. I would personally keep the water bottles in the refrigerator instead of the freezer as that shouldn't be as quick as a temp swing.
Ahh I see, alright thanks for letting me know! I will try that so that my betta doesn’t get overheated .

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ahh I see, alright thanks for letting me know! I will try that so that my betta doesn’t get overheated .
I don't know what the A/C situation is at your house, but my wofe keeps ours at 70 year round. My tanks benefit greatly and always need a heater.

Upvote 0

bettafeesh21

I don't know what the A/C situation is at your house, but my wofe keeps ours at 70 year round. My tanks benefit greatly and always need a heater.
The thing that sucks about my house is that the ac really only works on the first floor and considering that my tanks are in my room aka. 2nd floor, it gets hotter. I mean the past few summers haven’t really been that bad and like the highest it usually went to was like 83-ish maybe barely in the 84 range but like again, the weather is usually unpredictable. Another thing that sucks is that there’s not really any ample space on the first floor for my aquariums so like, I can’t just move them down there since there’s virtually no space even for the 5.5 gallon (Ik it sounds crazy but like my first floor is very cluttered due to me living with my family and such). Therefore, the best thing I can really do is try to regulate my room temp by having external fans and taking advantage of the cooler night air which kindaaa works. But yeah, ac situation is weird so I’ll likely just use the water bottle solution.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The thing that sucks about my house is that the ac really only works on the first floor and considering that my tanks are in my room aka. 2nd floor, it gets hotter. I mean the past few summers haven’t really been that bad and like the highest it usually went to was like 83-ish maybe barely in the 84 range but like again, the weather is usually unpredictable. Another thing that sucks is that there’s not really any ample space on the first floor for my aquariums so like, I can’t just move them down there since there’s virtually no space even for the 5.5 gallon (Ik it sounds crazy but like my first floor is very cluttered due to me living with my family and such). Therefore, the best thing I can really do is try to regulate my room temp by having external fans and taking advantage of the cooler night air which kindaaa works. But yeah, ac situation is weird so I’ll likely just use the water bottle solution.
83-84 is pretty do-able for most bettas

Upvote 0

bettafeesh21

83-84 is pretty do-able for most bettas
Yeah so I’m trying not to stress too much about it and I’ll just continue monitoring my betta and the temp lol. It once got to 86-87 a few summers back and that was bad so like I’m trying to avoid that. But again, thanks a lot for your help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nopsu
  • Question
Replies
Views