How To Convince Someone They Are Overstocked?

BettaBubble

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi! My friend has an overstocked tank and I need help convincing him. He has 3 fancy goldfish a koI and a pleco in a 55 gallon! I told him plecos need at least 150 gallons and koI needs more than that but he thinks since they are small they have so much room. He thinks he can add another goldfish because he heard he could have 5 in a 55 gallon and apparently plecos "don't count"! I know it's his decision but he really loves his fish and I think would do what's best for them if he knew the facts. How can I convince him? He is really attached to his koI so it might be a little hard. I can't stand to see these poor fish die when I might be able to save them!

SpasmaticAA

Reactions
Experience
3 years
Tell him to look on online forums to see what hobbyists recomend. If he won't listen then tell him it's his fault if the fish die. Other than that I can't help much more.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Leave him be. He’s already convinced that he’s doing a good job. If he has problems and he comes to you than you can help him. But as of now...leave him be. No sense of straining a relationship.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
wait till the koI grows to a monstrous 3 feet and destroys the tank. He'll be running to get a big tank then.

vikingkirken

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
If that koI reaches three feet long, he'll be able to sell it for an insane amount of money and buy a bigger tank with his profits. KoI don't usually get that large. That said, yes, koI belong in a pond. And IF it's a common pleco vs one of the smaller types, yes it'll eventually outgrow the tank.

BUT... Your friend doesn't want to hear it; I agree with Fashooga, leave it alone. Unsolicited advice is rarely welcome.

smee82

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree what until it goes wrong then explain why. Trying to convince him beforehand will cause more problems

OP
BettaBubble

BettaBubble

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah that's what I thought. Oh well I just feel bad for the fish. I don't think the koI will grow big because it will be stunted.

New Threads