How To Convince Parent To Let Me Put A Tank In My Room. Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Elijah K, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Elijah K

Elijah KValued MemberMember

I'm not really sure where this thread should be. But anyways I'm 13 and I have a 125-gallon tank in one of my living rooms downstairs. I asked my dad if I could have a tank in my room but said I already have a tank, but I want my own personal one in my room for my desk. I already have an empty 3.5 gallon in my basement with gravel, a filter, and a heater already it just needs to be set up, but he says no, (Why? I'm not sure). Plus I want a betta and i can't have a betta in my 125 gallon because its fins might get bitten.

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

My parents wouldn't let me have a tank in my room for a long time due to the fact that we have carpet, and any spills could do some damage that they didn't want to have to deal with.

I eventually was surprised with my very own tank upstairs in my room, and I didn't spill any water on the floor until I got my ten gallon which leaked, and then they were a bit upset.
    So, I completely understand why they may not want a tank upstairs, it may be for many various other reasons that I don't know of. It's your job to ask him why he doesn't want tanks upstairs.

3. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Buddy if you have a 125 gallon tank in the living room, you are better off than 95 percent other 13 year old fish keepers!!lol ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Elijah K

I have wood in my room but i guess water could get into the wood and damage wood too.
    I agree but i would like a betta, and i dont want to put one in my 125 gallon because i have some aggressive fish and fin biters. But ive had like 4 bettas in the past so its not like i never had a betta before.

5. Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

tell 'em InappropriateReefer and MightyNanoTank did it... it might work ;)

6. leftswerve

leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

Who does 100% of the maintenance on the 125g ?

7. Addie42

Addie42Well Known MemberMember

here's my spoiled brat train of thought
    its only 13.5 L. Thats like, having 7 2L nalgenes in your room, no biggie!!!
    (saying this might make ur parents more mad hahaha)

here's my more reasonable (but probably still somewhat flawed since I'm not that much older than you) train of thought
    just promise them you'll take perfect care of it. If the water volume isn't the only argument they have and they don't think you are responsible enough to take care of it, or they think it's too small for a betta or whatever, just back off.
    Learning to back off on things and then bring them up subtly later is a good way of showing your parents a) you care about their opinion b) you are mature enough to have a tank ;)

this being said, I'm glad I didn't have my own tank at 13. I probably would have messed it up - not that you will

8. LowieTheLoach

LowieTheLoachValued MemberMember

Speaking from a parent's perspective, there could be a hundred reasons why they said no. I would suggest asking why they are against it and then not bringing it back up. At least not for a while. Go out of your way to be extra responsible and prove that you can handle another tank. Things like keeping grades up and doing chores without being asked go a long way when my kids are trying to change my mind.

9. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

Going to them and asking for an explanation and if there is anything you can do to make it happen is better than trying to 'trick' them into doing it. Try bargaining - "If I am responsible for "xxxx" , could I get a betta in a couple of months?" Maybe if you look into seamless tanks (like acrylic) that are less prone to leaking and price that out, maybe that would help if the concern is leaking.

10. OP
    OP
    Elijah K

The tank is acrylic.

I do like 25% of maintenance my dad does the rest.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
  11. blue velvet keeper

blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

i would do more maintnence to prove you are worthy for a new tank

12. BaseballMom

BaseballMomValued MemberMember

And here I am trying to figure out how I can afford a 2nd tank setup that my 15 year old wants in his room LOL

13. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

And here I am putting 2 of my OWN tanks in my 16 year olds room. Lol

I ran out of tank space and outlets in the rest of the house....so....

Haha

good luck! I hope you can convince them!

14. OP
    OP
    Elijah K

its a 3 gallon tank and we already bought it so might as well set it up

15. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

You can't really have a disaster with a 3 gallon tank. I don't see any reason why your parents should be against it.

Why did they buy it if they are against it? Were they planning to have it put somewhere other than your room?

16. Bettaish

BettaishValued MemberMember

Honestly, if you have an 125 gallon you're better off than most teenage fish keepers. Doing the majority of the work on your 125 gallon will help convince your parents you're ready for a new one. Always want to make sure you can take care of the tacks you have before getting more.

17. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

My parents were like that. Something to do with homework and sleep being ‘more important than fish’ or something crazy like that. I never did get one in my bedroom.

What are their actual reasons? (apologies if you’ve already said)

This is becoming quite a responsible thread, and shows that it’s important to you. Maybe show them this thread at some point?

18. Kathryn Crook

Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

I had to ask for a horse for two years. Keep asking. They are testing whether you are serious or just a fad you will outgrow once you get to high school. Been there, done that, and I have kids older then you now and still going theough that. Good luck!

19. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007Well Known MemberMember

If you are going go show them this thread, i have a combined 75 Gallons of water in my rooms spread across 5 tanks. I have only spilled water a few times, and I just dabbed it up with a towel. I have a total of 105Gallons of tanks over 6 tanks. I would love to have a 125 gallon

20. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi,
    I went through a similar situation when I first started.

To me, it's not about convincing parents to "allow you". It's more about understanding your parents' reasoning behind not wanting the tank in your room.

So, try and ask them what their concerns are, and then see if there are ways to mitigate/alleviate the concerns.

In life, there will be many things that don't make sense to children (by that, I mean off-spring of any age), but as life goes on, you (as the child) start to understand the reasons, and sometimes, you even experience the same challenges.

So hang in there, work with your parents in establishing and understanding the concerns. Then see if you can work out a compromise.