How To Completely Redesign Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zacahriah, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Zacahriah

ZacahriahNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello, I just finished cycling my tank but Im a bit disappointed with how it looks. When I first started this project I did not intend on making as big of an investment but at this point, I've spent so much on the lighting, filtration ect. that I might as well have purchased a more quality substrate (the one I have is hard as rocks and my plants don't seem to be entirely fond of it). Can I do like a tank reset so to speak? I want to remove everything and redesign it but not have to go through the same cycling process. I have 8 tiger barbs and a pleco in this tank as well. Should I keep some of the water or does that not matter?

Thank you!

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,224
    Redesigning an aquarium does not hinder the cycling process.

3. OP
    OP
    Zacahriah

ZacahriahNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Really! Sweet did not realize this. So once the biomedia has built up the beneficial bacteria, I could theoretically remove all the water and refill with a new one?

4. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Most of the bacteria you need in your tank are in the filter so as long as you don't change filter media you shouldn't need to cycle the tank again. If you have any bacteria in a bottle left from cycling the tank you could add it to replace any bacteria you loose from the substrate and water but if you don't I wouldn't worry, the filter bacteria will soon multiply and replace any lost. If your water is good I would keep some and replace only 20-50 percent so as not to make the fish have to adapt to a change of water too much. When you buy new substrate you need to rinse VERY well but it may still make the water a little cloudy so change this before changing the water that way you will remove some of the sediment with the water change.

5. Rye3434

Rye3434Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +67
    Yes, as long as it doesn't dry out and has access to oxygen you will be fine. :)

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,200
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Let me add to what @Rye3434 said, don't let it dry out and have access to oxygen and ammonia.

Of course it it is just for a few hours, you don't have to worry about oxygen and ammonia