How To Clean The Tank Siphon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nauthes, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Nauthes

NauthesValued MemberMember

I have a small tank siphon that i use to use on my tank until i got a larger one.

One of my friends is starting up a tank and could use it but its been sitting under the cabinet for a while and could use some cleaning.

The inside of the tubing looks a little gross, should i siphon warm vinegar water solution through it then rinse it well with lots of water?

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I would soak it in a bucket with hot vinegar solution and then if you have a pressure washer ( I use a cheap one, the as-seen-on-tv one for this purpose and this purpose only ) and blast the debris out.
    I say I use the cheap pressure washer ( only paid $19.99 for it ) because for actual pressure washing ( like driveways ) its pretty useless but works great for stuff like hoses and fish related stuff.

For stuff like mold and mildew in the hose, that might need more elbow grease - I don't recommend using bleach but maybe someone else can chime in on that. I don't feel comfortable with bleach and near fish stuff but I know others have used it.

When my 4 year old siphon tube got really bad, I ended up just getting new tubing ( which you can find at most hardware stores ) and get it cut for the length you want. MUCH easier in my opinion.

3. OP
    OP
    Nauthes

NauthesValued MemberMember

nice thanks a ton Junne!

4. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember