How To Clean The Tank Siphon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nauthes, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Nauthes

Nauthes Valued Member Member

I have a small tank siphon that i use to use on my tank until i got a larger one.

One of my friends is starting up a tank and could use it but its been sitting under the cabinet for a while and could use some cleaning.

The inside of the tubing looks a little gross, should i siphon warm vinegar water solution through it then rinse it well with lots of water?

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I would soak it in a bucket with hot vinegar solution and then if you have a pressure washer ( I use a cheap one, the as-seen-on-tv one for this purpose and this purpose only ) and blast the debris out.
    I say I use the cheap pressure washer ( only paid $19.99 for it ) because for actual pressure washing ( like driveways ) its pretty useless but works great for stuff like hoses and fish related stuff.

For stuff like mold and mildew in the hose, that might need more elbow grease - I don't recommend using bleach but maybe someone else can chime in on that. I don't feel comfortable with bleach and near fish stuff but I know others have used it.

When my 4 year old siphon tube got really bad, I ended up just getting new tubing ( which you can find at most hardware stores ) and get it cut for the length you want. MUCH easier in my opinion.

3. OP
    OP
    Nauthes

Nauthes Valued Member Member

nice thanks a ton Junne!

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Look up cleaning tanl hoses with hydrogen peroxide. Lots of videos how to do it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice