How To Clean The Pot After I Boiled Driftwood In It

Stefanie1234

How can I clean the pot I just boiled driftwood in? Thanks!!

coralbandit

Same way as usual??
Dawn detergent is great ..

Stefanie1234

coralbandit said:
Same way as usual??
I’m afraid there still might be remnants of something.

coralbandit

Boil it with clean water and then wash it again ..The act of boiling is considered sterilizing so if you don't see anything the pot is clean .

Donthemon

Got yourself a fish pot now

Stefanie1234

This was a serious question! What if the driftwood contained bacterial spores that are now in the pot?

pagoda

If you have a dishwasher, put it in there on its own, double up on cleaning detergent etc and put it on the longest/hottest programme you have. By the time it finishes it will be totally clean and sterile.

CheshireKat

My roommate has been unknowingly cooking with a pot that once had driftwood-tannin water sit for a few months and slowly evaporate, leaving brown tannin residue. I simply washed with Dawn and hot water. We're not dead.
We, including you, probably put a ton of bacteria without knowing into our bodies plus have bacteria on our bodies.
I'm more concerned about the wet towel she uses to "clean" the counters and leaves sitting around, wet. Or the sponge she uses to clean her dishes. Dunno what bacteria and "spores" are living in those.

Stefanie1234

pagoda said:
If you have a dishwasher, put it in there on its own, double up on cleaning detergent etc and put it on the longest/hottest programme you have. By the time it finishes it will be totally clean and sterile.
Okay thanks I’m really paranoid about this

CheshireKat said:
My roommate has been unknowingly cooking with a pot that once had driftwood-tannin water sit for a few months and slowly evaporate, leaving brown tannin residue. I simply washed with Dawn and hot water. We're not dead.
We, including you, probably put a ton of bacteria without knowing into our bodies plus have bacteria on our bodies.
I'm more concerned about the wet towel she uses to "clean" the counters and leaves sitting around, wet. Or the sponge she uses to clean her dishes. Dunno what bacteria and "spores" are living in those.
Okay that makes me feel better thank you

flyin-lowe

I assume if there was anything on the driftwood that survived the boiling then it would/will be killing the occupants of your aquarium. If the fish are fine then you guys will likely be fine as well. That's why you boiled it to begin with.

Bansmo

Try vinegar or bleach.

PascalKrypt

Stefanie1234 said:
This was a serious question! What if the driftwood contained bacterial spores that are now in the pot?
If it worked like this, what about all the times you've put raw meat, raw eggs, etc. inside of a pan or pot? I would be way more scared of that than what could potentially be in the driftwood. Boiling (not to mention detergent) removes 99% of the scary stuff and the rest is everywhere anyways, pointless to worry about it.

This reminds me a bit of my flatmates from college, they would wash their hands with disinfectant soap every time they touched a handle on the bus, but then got home and started cooking, cutting raw pork and salad ingredients with the same knife... I failed to convince them of the problem.

OurFirstTimeFishy

Boiling the driftwood would kill any bacteria on the wood, I was abit nervous myself boiling it then using the same pot for myself but use soap and water and wash it abit harder then normal and you'll be ok, let it air dry or even wash it twice...

mattgirl

Stefanie1234 said:
I know this was a serious question and you are concerned but the reason we wash our dishes in detergent and hot water is to kill the germs/bacteria that can grow on things if not washed well. Washing this pot WILL remove/kill anything that might have been left behind when boiling your driftwood along with removing it from the driftwood.

To be totally serious, bacteria is on everything we touch. There is no way to avoid all of it unless we lived in a sterile bubble. If we could actually see all the microscopic things that constantly share space with us we all might want to live in a bubble. The good thing is, most of us have built up an immunity to most of it and live in harmony with it.

max h

If this is a big pot, go out and buy about 20 lbs of crawfish. Fill the pot part way up with water, add crawfish boil, about 10 garlic bulbs, cut lemons, potatoes, and corn. Once the pot is at a rolling boil add the crawfish and boil for 10 minutes and turn the heat off. The pot will be sterilized and the tannin's may add some flavor to the crawfish.

mattgirl

max h said:
If this is a big pot, go out and buy about 20 lbs of crawfish. Fill the pot part way up with water, add crawfish boil, about 10 garlic bulbs, cut lemons, potatoes, and corn. Once the pot is at a rolling boil add the crawfish and boil for 10 minutes and turn the heat off. The pot will be sterilized and the tannin's may add some flavor to the crawfish.
And then call me when it's ready

Stefanie1234

I am just trying to find answers. This is the problem with people on this thread that may enjoy this aspect of these forums. Quick judgements, feeling high and mighty, holding yourself supreme over other less experienced members. I'm am new here as of a couple days ago and I don't know if I like it here

H Farnsworth

Oh come now, we all friends here.

Stefanie1234

H Farnsworth said:
Oh come now, we all friends here.
some of you have been extremely helpful

OurFirstTimeFishy said:
Boiling the driftwood would kill any bacteria on the wood, I was abit nervous myself boiling it then using the same pot for myself but use soap and water and wash it abit harder then normal and you'll be ok, let it air dry or even wash it twice...
very helpful, thank you!!

I appreciate the people that are here to genuinely give advice without a tone of sarcasm

mattgirl

Stefanie1234 said:
I appreciate the people that are here to genuinely give advice without a tone of sarcasm
I don't think I am seeing what you are seeing. I reread this thread several times and all I have seen is helpful answers. I've not seen any quick judgements, feeling high and mighty, holding yourself supreme over other less experienced members unless you took the cooking crawfish as a put down. I know my reply to it was offered in jest.

Most everyone on this forum give of themselves freely and the only goal for most of us is to help in any way we can. I am sorry that you aren't seeing it that way.

Stefanie1234

mattgirl said:
I don't think I am seeing what you are seeing. I reread this thread several times and all I have seen is helpful answers. I've not seen any quick judgements, feeling high and mighty, holding yourself supreme over other less experienced members unless you took the cooking crawfish as a put down. I know my reply to it was offered in jest.

Most everyone on this forum give of themselves freely and the only goal for most of us is to help in any way we can. I am sorry that you aren't seeing it that way.
I was coming from a place of worry about how to properly clean it afterwards and then I get these first responses.

coralbandit said:
Same way as usual??
Donthemon said:
It was frustrating because I thought this forum was to openly post frustrations and the cooking crawfish thing was kinda funny but idk I was actually worried about how to clean the pot

max h

Stefanie1234 said:
It was frustrating because I thought this forum was to openly post frustrations and the cooking crawfish thing was kinda funny but idk I was actually worried about how to clean the pot
Stefanie, I wrote my response to be funny and in no way meant to be demeaning at all. If it was taken that way, I do apologize.

Stefanie1234

max h said:
Stefanie, I wrote my response to be funny and in no way meant to be demeaning at all. If it was taken that way, I do apologize.
Don't worry about it. I actually thought your post was funny

Donthemon

Stefanie1234 said:
I am just trying to find answers. This is the problem with people on this thread that may enjoy this aspect of these forums. Quick judgements, feeling high and mighty, holding yourself supreme over other less experienced members. I'm am new here as of a couple days ago and I don't know if I like it here
Throw the pot away!

mattgirl

Stefanie1234 said:
I was coming from a place of worry about how to properly clean it afterwards and then I get these first responses.

hopefully we have put your mind to rest. Washing it well with a good dish soap and rinse it well with hot water and you should be fine. Or... as someone mentioned. Put it in your dishwasher and it should sterilize it. Our cookware should not absorb any kinds of bacteria so just a good cleaning should get it good as new.

DannyTanks

Washing the pot with dish soap or detergent will suffice enough to rid the pot of any bacteria. After one wash in the sink or dishwasher, boil some clean water in it and then wash again.

Alternatively, if you are still paranoid about leftover bacteria - you can always get a new pot. Is a $20 pot worth the potential to your health?

Personally, you will be fine if you wash it thoroughly.

Stefanie1234

DannyTanks said:
Washing the pot with dish soap or detergent will suffice enough to rid the pot of any bacteria. After one wash in the sink or dishwasher, boil some clean water in it and then wash again.

Alternatively, if you are still paranoid about leftover bacteria - you can always get a new pot. Is a $20 pot worth the potential to your health?

Personally, you will be fine if you wash it thoroughly.
The pot is $150! I think I cleaned it enough

RedHerring

If I want to do a deep cleaning of my pots I use powdered Bar Keepers Friend. I have a 20 year old set of stainless steel cookware that still looks new thanks to that magical concoction. You can find it in the cleanser section of any major grocery store (eg. Target, Walmart, etc). After cleaning it with that and rinsing it very well I clean it again with soap and water just to be sure. Nothing will be left alive in the pot after that.

H Farnsworth

that's an expensive pot

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Bleach.

StarGirl

Stefanie1234 said:
The pot is $150! I think I cleaned it enough
Did you try SOS or steel wool soap pads? They work great in pots!

BettaDollar

Stefanie1234 said:
How can I clean the pot I just boiled driftwood in? Thanks!!
IMHO - when I feel the need to be extra sure I use straight hydrogen peroxide. It's cheap from a dollar store. I soak a dish rag with it and wipe it thoroughly. Then rinse well & use a dish detergent & wash again.
And or, repeat with same process with straight alcohol.
I understand your concern & if my wife is aware of what I did with the pot she hits me with it first...
Try to appreciate that some people have a hyper sense of humor & don't let it bother or discourage you.
This is the best forum around and all others have been unbelievably insane.
Stick around - it's worth your patience.

Wydowmayker

You may want to buy a large, cheap pot just for boiling driftwood and things.
Wash it out, rinse it with a swoosh of pure vinegar, and it will be fine for future use.
I also keep pails, etc for my fish. I mark them all clearly.

Also, you will find that people my age tend to use a sense of humour, because we have seen it all. From what I have seen, everyone here cares a lot about our problems.
Don’t feel bad. We do love to help you.

MaximumRide14

My parents forbid me using a pot for my fish stuff, especially when I have to boil wood. I would take everyone's advice here to clean it thoroughly, but I also recommend buying a cheap pot somewhere (I got mine at Goodwill) so it can be used for future fish stuff

eagledriver

It's not sarcasm. It's humor. Relax and enjoy your new hobby. It is very rewarding. And btw, call me too when the crawfish are ready!

Petchratn

Donthemon said:
max h said:
Really????? ???????????

Kevin1962

Yep. Bacteria rule the world.
There are around 10 trillion cells in the human body. Roughly 100 trillion bacteria live in/on your body.
Bathe in bleach? Barely touches the numbers. We are just a scaffold for them.

I share your concern. I boiled everything but the fish to kill the uncountable number of MTsnails that came with the ornaments and fake plants when I accepted another's fish. Made a mess of my biggest stew pot. Who knew fake plants had hot glue holding them together? That was 8 weeks ago and, funny enough, tonight I took the steel wool and comet to that 20 gt pot until I was satisfied it could handle human food.
Really, though, bacteria are easily defeated by soap and water; boiling for 15 minutes is the nuclear option.

saltwater60

Stefanie1234 said:
Boiling kills bacteria spores. There’s a thing called sterilization and boiling water does that. If you want to go further than that place it in the oven at 400 F if the pot is oven safe.
Trust me I’m a food safety guy. Wash it with dish detergent, bleach it, and boil water. All three alone will kill bacteria. All three together and you’ll have the cleanest pot I. The world.

Stefanie1234 said:
Take yourself a little too serious now do t you?
Lighten up a bit and enjoy the place. Lots of good people here with good info.

Cichlidude

Just to add here. What you have done to clean your pot is 100X better than any restaurant does.

Top Bottom