How To Clean The Pot After I Boiled Driftwood In It

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Boil it with clean water and then wash it again ..The act of boiling is considered sterilizing so if you don't see anything the pot is clean .

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a dishwasher, put it in there on its own, double up on cleaning detergent etc and put it on the longest/hottest programme you have. By the time it finishes it will be totally clean and sterile.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My roommate has been unknowingly cooking with a pot that once had driftwood-tannin water sit for a few months and slowly evaporate, leaving brown tannin residue. I simply washed with Dawn and hot water. We're not dead.
We, including you, probably put a ton of bacteria without knowing into our bodies plus have bacteria on our bodies.
I'm more concerned about the wet towel she uses to "clean" the counters and leaves sitting around, wet. Or the sponge she uses to clean her dishes. Dunno what bacteria and "spores" are living in those.

Stefanie1234

Reaction score
If you have a dishwasher, put it in there on its own, double up on cleaning detergent etc and put it on the longest/hottest programme you have. By the time it finishes it will be totally clean and sterile.
Okay thanks I’m really paranoid about this

My roommate has been unknowingly cooking with a pot that once had driftwood-tannin water sit for a few months and slowly evaporate, leaving brown tannin residue. I simply washed with Dawn and hot water. We're not dead.
We, including you, probably put a ton of bacteria without knowing into our bodies plus have bacteria on our bodies.
I'm more concerned about the wet towel she uses to "clean" the counters and leaves sitting around, wet. Or the sponge she uses to clean her dishes. Dunno what bacteria and "spores" are living in those.
Okay that makes me feel better thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I assume if there was anything on the driftwood that survived the boiling then it would/will be killing the occupants of your aquarium. If the fish are fine then you guys will likely be fine as well. Thats why you boiled it to begin with.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This was a serious question! What if the driftwood contained bacterial spores that are now in the pot?
If it worked like this, what about all the times you've put raw meat, raw eggs, etc. inside of a pan or pot? I would be way more scared of that than what could potentially be in the driftwood. Boiling (not to mention detergent) removes 99% of the scary stuff and the rest is everywhere anyways, pointless to worry about it.

This reminds me a bit of my flatmates from college, they would wash their hands with disinfectant soap every time they touched a handle on the bus, but then got home and started cooking, cutting raw pork and salad ingredients with the same knife... I failed to convince them of the problem.

OurFirstTimeFishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Boiling the driftwood would kill any bacteria on the wood, I was abit nervous myself boiling it then using the same pot for myself but use soap and water and wash it abit harder then normal and you'll be ok, let it air dry or even wash it twice...

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This was a serious question! What if the driftwood contained bacterial spores that are now in the pot?
I know this was a serious question and you are concerned but the reason we wash our dishes in detergent and hot water is to kill the germs/bacteria that can grow on things if not washed well. Washing this pot WILL remove/kill anything that might have been left behind when boiling your driftwood along with removing it from the driftwood.

To be totally serious, bacteria is on everything we touch. There is no way to avoid all of it unless we lived in a sterile bubble. If we could actually see all the microscopic things that constantly share space with us we all might want to live in a bubble. The good thing is, most of us have built up an immunity to most of it and live in harmony with it.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If this is a big pot, go out and buy about 20 lbs of crawfish. Fill the pot part way up with water, add crawfish boil, about 10 garlic bulbs, cut lemons, potatoes, and corn. Once the pot is at a rolling boil add the crawfish and boil for 10 minutes and turn the heat off. The pot will be sterilized and the tannin's may add some flavor to the crawfish.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If this is a big pot, go out and buy about 20 lbs of crawfish. Fill the pot part way up with water, add crawfish boil, about 10 garlic bulbs, cut lemons, potatoes, and corn. Once the pot is at a rolling boil add the crawfish and boil for 10 minutes and turn the heat off. The pot will be sterilized and the tannin's may add some flavor to the crawfish.
And then call me when it's ready

Stefanie1234

Reaction score
I am just trying to find answers. This is the problem with people on this thread that may enjoy this aspect of these forums. Quick judgements, feeling high and mighty, holding yourself supreme over other less experienced members. I'm am new here as of a couple days ago and I don't know if I like it here

Stefanie1234

Reaction score
Oh come now, we all friends here.
some of you have been extremely helpful

Boiling the driftwood would kill any bacteria on the wood, I was abit nervous myself boiling it then using the same pot for myself but use soap and water and wash it abit harder then normal and you'll be ok, let it air dry or even wash it twice...
very helpful, thank you!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom