How To Clean Tank With Explosion Of Cherry Shrimp? How Do I

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by peighton, Aug 21, 2019.

1. peighton

peightonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hello! I’ve taken out my air stone and let my tank grow way more wild then intended. Taking out the airstone really helped my betta relax and apparently allowed my cherry shrimp to have a bajillion babies.

Now the issues. I need to vacuum the tank bottom and trim the plants. How do I do this without killing the baby shrimp?

Water parameters have been good just topping off water and doing small water changes where I don’t disturb any plants or anything. But the bottom is just looking messy and I’m wanting to obviously trim these wild plants lol

Thank you! (I do use buckets for water changes so I’m hoping I’d see small shrimp if I sucked them up :/ )

Attached Files:

2. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    I find that putting in a bit of lettuce or blanched spinach tends to lure them away and you can easily clean the areas you want as the are focused on the one food source. All you have to do is move it once you need to clean wherever the lettuce or spinach used to be. It works every time for me!

3. OP
    OP
    peighton

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    thank you! i’ll try that

4. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +753
    Experience:
    4 years
    My shrimp population exploded too and there are tons of babies. I still do deep vacuuming of my Flourite Red substrate and hover the siphon right above my sand do get all the gunk off.

They'll normally move to avoid the siphon. I still siphon a few up every time I do a water change, but it doesn't hurt them. I just grab them out of the bucket and put them back in the tank. Those things are almost impossible to kill.

Every month when I clean my canister filter, I find 100 to 200 babies living in there. I've tried covering the intake with a sponge and a tightknit mesh cover, but their eggs still get sucked up and they hatch in there.

5. OP
    OP
    peighton

Ratings:
    +22
    Experience:
    1 year
    oh that’s crazy! i’ll definitely check my filter too before i dump it and clean it. oh jeez lol okay good to know! i’ll double check my bucket just in case too. thanks!