How To Clean Tank Bottom Without Sucking Up Baby Snails?

amrkizer

I have a 20 gallon long with 15 male guppies and 3 Mystery Snails (I know it’s overstocked, in the process of cycling 2 new tanks!). One of the snails laid a clutch that I missed and now it’s hatched and there are baby snails everywhere. The bottom of the tank (sand) is becoming a huge mess because I don’t know how to clean it without sucking up snails too. I tried using a turkey baster, but that didn’t seem to work, just blew things around instead of actually sucking anything up. I was thinking of getting some shrimp to help with the mess. Would they be okay to add to an already full tank? Would they eat the babies? I’ve never kept shrimp before. Thanks!

Matt11711

I believe the baster works in conjunction with a siphon, where you blow the debris into the water column off the sand and then remove it with a sipon. If you think your tank is already over stocked (which I don't know if it is true, I don't have the experience) then don't add shrimp.

Upvote 0

amrkizer

I believe the baster works in conjunction with a siphon, where you blow the debris into the water column off the sand and then remove it with a sipon. If you think your tank is already over stocked (which I don't know if it is true, I don't have the experience) then don't add shrimp.

Thanks, that makes sense, couldn’t figure out what the baster was actually supposed to do!

Upvote 0

RayClem

What are you planning to do with the baby snails?

In a 20 gallon tank you really do not have room for more than 3 mystery snails. You will either need a much larger tank, a store or friend who will take the snails off your hands, or you will need to suck them up and dispose of them.

My tank has a lot of "pest snails": bladder snails and pond snails along with some mystery snails and nerites. Every time I do a water change, I probably discard 50 small snails. However, the snails multiply so rapidly that my population is self-sustaining. If I did not discard snails each week, my tanks would quickly be overrun.

Upvote 0

amrkizer

What are you planning to do with the baby snails?

In a 20 gallon tank you really do not have room for more than 3 mystery snails. You will either need a much larger tank, a store or friend who will take the snails off your hands, or you will need to suck them up and dispose of them.

My tank has a lot of "pest snails": bladder snails and pond snails along with some mystery snails and nerites. Every time I do a water change, I probably discard 50 small snails. However, the snails multiply so rapidly that my population is self-sustaining. If I did not discard snails each week, my tanks would quickly be overrun.

Hoping to find a store that will take them! I don’t have room for all of them for sure, but I feel bad tossing them out now that they’ve hatched ‍♀️. They’re starting to get a little bigger, probably at least 50 of them. I usually feed pest snails to my betta sorority, but these guys are so much cuter, I don’t know what to do with them!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

You could get a couple of breeder boxes or those temporary holding things and split them up in those so you can clean up

Upvote 0

amrkizer

You could get a couple of breeder boxes or those temporary holding things and split them up in those so you can clean up
Great idea, will do!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
BrynneBattersby
Replies
Views