How To Clean Tank After Sick Fish Dies Question 

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So today my fish died after being sick for a few weeks, and I’ve done a 50% water change because I have other fish in there and want to make sure there is no ammonia spike. Is there anything else I should do to make sure the water is safe? I did water tests and everything is good, besides some high-ish nitrites which I’m taking care of.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you know what killed the one fish? It really depends on that question.

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
endlercollector said:
Do you know what killed the one fish? It really depends on that question.
No, he was laying on the floor of the tank a while, so I thought it could’ve been the high-ish nitrates, but the other fish in the tank were fine

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you dont know the cause there really nothing you can do except a big water change. Personally i would try for 75%.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What kind of fish died, how long did you have him, and how old roughly? What did you add into the tank in recent months?

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
endlercollector said:
What kind of fish died, how long did you have him, and how old roughly? What did you add into the tank in recent months?
It was a gold dust lyratail Molly, I’ve had him for 6 months, he was about a year old. In the recent months I’ve added a betta (which I quarantined for a month before adding to the community tank) and a baby guppy, who was bred by a close friend. I didn’t quarantine the guppy since it was in the care of another fish expert, and was in good health.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since he didn't have any obvious symptoms, and it doesn't sound like any thing new was introduced that could have made him sick, it's just going to be one of those mysteries. You got him out before anyone could nibble on him, so I'm thinking that odds are, the others are going to be ok. I would just focus on getting the nitrites down. Aside from water changes, my favorite way to keep water parameters under control is by using floating plants such as hornwort, frogbit, and duckweed.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettythebetta said:
So today my fish died after being sick for a few weeks, and I’ve done a 50% water change because I have other fish in there and want to make sure there is no ammonia spike. Is there anything else I should do to make sure the water is safe? I did water tests and everything is good, besides some high-ish nitrites which I’m taking care of.
Bettythebetta said:
No, he was laying on the floor of the tank a while, so I thought it could’ve been the high-ish nitrates, but the other fish in the tank were fine
Nitrites or nitrates, there's a big difference, nitrites are lethal to fish nitrates are tolerated as long as they're not too high.

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Seasoldier said:
Nitrites or nitrates, there's a big difference, nitrites are lethal to fish nitrates are tolerated as long as they're not too high.
Oops sorry I meant nitrites

I did another 50% water change and my fish seem fine now. I’m going to get some more fish tomorrow, so I’ll post about them when I get them!

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
if ur cycle is still ok i would just do 50% water change and call it a day. If you see more fish die, then I'd be alarmed.

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MAGA said:
if ur cycle is still ok i would just do 50% water change and call it a day. If you see more fish die, then I'd be alarmed.
I did a 50% change and took out a decoration because I noticed the paint was dissolving off, maybe that why the fish were dying.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettythebetta said:
Oops sorry I meant nitrites
Hi, what are your nitrites like now, they're extremely toxic to fish so need to be at zero, if they continue to be high this is likely to be the reason for your fish dying.

Bettythebetta said:
I did a 50% change and took out a decoration because I noticed the paint was dissolving off, maybe that why the fish were dying.
Good decision, you need to be very careful what you put into your tank & make sure everything is fish safe, but I'd still bet on the high nitrates being the cause of your fish getting sick & eventually dying.

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Seasoldier said:
Hi, what are your nitrites like now, they're extremely toxic to fish so need to be at zero, if they continue to be high this is likely to be the reason for your fish dying.

Good decision, you need to be very careful what you put into your tank & make sure everything is fish safe, but I'd still bet on the high nitrates being the cause of your fish getting sick & eventually dying.
Nitrites were at 1 earlier, I did a 50% water change. I ran out of tests but the nitrites should be at 0 now.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettythebetta said:
Nitrites were at 1 earlier, I did a 50% water change. I ran out of tests but the nitrites should be at 0 now.
That's good, but keep an eye on your nitrites, if they rise again it would suggest that there's a problem with your tank's nitrogen cycle. What are you using to test the water?

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Seasoldier said:
That's good, but keep an eye on your nitrites, if they rise again it would suggest that there's a problem with your tank's nitrogen cycle. What are you using to test the water?
The api master test kit

Bettythebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Seasoldier said:
The decoration was meant for fish tanks, I guess I’ve just had it in the tank so long that the paint wore off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom