How To Clean Sand?

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello fellow fish lovers!
Can you use a gravel vacuum for sand? I didn't think you could syphon sand like you would gravel because the tiny sand particles would go through. I thought about stirring up the sand then syphons go the water to catch the dirtiness, would this clean everything well?
Thank you for replies in advance

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It depends on how large your sand is.

Play sand will get sucked up very, very easily. However, most aquarium sands and pool filter sand will be fine with vacuuming. You might think about stirring the sand bed, as you said, and then vacuuming out to mulm that turns up.

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It depends on how large your sand is.

Play sand will get sucked up very, very easily. However, most aquarium sands and pool filter sand will be fine with vacuuming. You might think about stirring the sand bed, as you said, and then vacuuming out to mulm that turns up.
Thank you for replying so fast! So pool filter sand is safe as a substrate? And it won't get sucked up?

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Pool filter sand is generally safe, yes. You'll wanna rinse well, but I've used it and it's fairly popular on here. Usually cheap, too. I think I got 30 lbs for a 29 gallon tank for like $10 from Lowes a few years ago.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, it's safe.

For sand, I don't stick the siphon in the sand, but instead wave it an inch or so above the sand. This will stir up the waste and not the sand, so the sand doesn't get sucked up.

-Sofia-

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've heard washing sand is EXTREMLY hard, how can I wash the sand prior to putting it in the tank?

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Put it into a bucket, add some tap water, and swish it around with your hands. Do it a few times, until it runs cleaerer. It won't be completely clear, but you can get it close.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The pool filter sand I bought was pre-rinsed (said so on the bag), so I didn't rinse it at all, with no issues. For BDBS, I did just as Lorekeeper said.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom