How to clean petrified wood?

1. amaly Member Member

I'm curious about a good way to make this safe for my fish/shrimp tanks? My BF works for the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and often finds chunks of petrified wood on the rivers he works on. He's given me a couple of nice chunks. So far I've only used a toothbrush and tap water on them. I'm sure to get more and will eventually start using some in my tanks. How can I be sure all the river gunk is gone?

2. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I used some and just brush and rinse it off. Everything was good and nothing affected my water. You could boil pieces.

3. amaly Member Member

There is a case of the disappearing word...elbow grease? Vinegar? I'm betting not soap at this point.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Never use soap on anything aquarium related. The smallest drop of soap can be fatal to your fish. The soap coats the gills and more or less suffocates the fish.

Ken

5. Lunas Well Known Member Member

Boil/boiling water, vinegar, bleach in this case you will have to rise it in prime water or soak it after words but petrified wood any sample I have seen is not porous and I doubt any bleach will soak into it.

Alternately if you have a steam cleaner that might be good to use.

6. amaly Member Member

Thanks guys. I wasn't going to use soap. I just wasn't sure if vinegar would react with it or anything. One of the rivers my BF pulls them from is dirtier than the others and he worries about what might have attached to the rocks. And while I doubt that there could be much that would transfer, I worry just enough that I want to clean it proper before introducing them to a tank.

7. jileha Well Known Member Member

I'd avoid boiling the petrified wood or pouring boiling water over it. it's crystalized by now, not wood any more. The heat could make it crack or even burst, with the possibility of splinters flying around and hurting you.

8. Lunas Well Known Member Member

Leaves only chemical sanitation 10 parts water to 1 part bleach should do submerge for 5 min then rinse and possibly soak in dechloronator dilution to be safe.

Petrified wood should be fine with hot water poured over it the only issue that will occur with boiling is if it has a hollow of amethyest or citrine in it. If it does the chamber may act as a pressure chamber and when it gets too hot it will break loose. But the only way pouring hot water on it will do anything but clean it is maybe crack it if it is cold when you do it.