How to clean ornament?

1. orbelina Member Member

Hi all me again lol sorry....I have been given an amazing resin decoration for my new 180l tank from a friend...but she also had it given and doesnt want to use it so I need it to be really clean before I'll use it...it smells of an old aquarium if you get my meaning...its a fake tree root so its actually partially hollow ....how can I get it really clean safely??

Attached Files:

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think I have that in my 125.

You could just scrub it with a brush and hot water. Truth be told, I don't even do that - I just rinse it and in it goes.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have one just like that. I ran it under really hot tap water. (Mine was used too.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I added "ornament" into your title.

If the ornament was completely dry, inside and out, a good rinse is all you really need, in warm water.

Or, you could use a 5g bucket, if it will fit, a little bit of bleach and water, soak a few minutes then add Prime or Amquel + to remove the chlorine, rinse again.

Ken

5. jamus34 Member Member

Uh, nothing against your post Ken but isn't Bleach more harmful (or at least that it'll kill them faster) to fish than chlorine??? I mean, after a bleach dip don't you want to rinse it really well regardless?