How To Clean Natural Wood For Driftwood??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal Queen

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello, I have a bunch of hardwood trees on my property, several fell after Irma. What are some of the safe woods? I have oak, hickory, beech, black walnut, poplar, that I know for 100% certainty of what they are.

What do I do to make one or 2 of these branches safe for my aquarium? Strip the bark, bake it, soak it for a month check water parameters and tannins. How deep do I strip the bark? What temp and how long do I bake it? Or if I'm totally wrong please correct me.

I do have weather dojos ( no scales ) so I don't really want any sharp edges, and I have a bristle nose so he needs wood. Oh it's a 60 gal tank planted tank. Just need some wood and more plants

xloe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the biggest thing regardless of wood type, is that it very dry (dry as in very dead, not as in dry/wet). With the pieces I've used, the bark comes off pretty easily. Then I scrub a lot with a tank dedicated brush, and boil for a little while, maybe an hour. I haven't been patient enough to soak for extended periods, and never have had any issues so far. Just my experience.

OP
Crystal Queen

Crystal Queen

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think the biggest thing regardless of wood type, is that it very dry (dry as in very dead, not as in dry/wet). With the pieces I've used, the bark comes off pretty easily. Then I scrub a lot with a tank dedicated brush, and boil for a little while, maybe an hour. I haven't been patient enough to soak for extended periods, and never have had any issues so far. Just my experience.
Thank you, and darn that won't work for what I'm wanting. A large piece I don't have a pot big enough. At least I can get smaller pieces for my bristle nose. Guess I'll go back to google for inspiration, Lord I wish I was creative!!:banghead:

On the plus side I do have a few VERY dead trees I'll double check and make sure they're hardwood, so at least that part is easy

Thank you so much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom