How to clean mystery snail shell?

ezra

Hello! Unfortunately my beloved mystery snail Trucker has passed from old age. I want to keep his shell to remember him by, but im too squeamish and loved him too much to pull him out of it. He was in a heavily planted 10 gallon tank with a lot of shrimp-- id estimate 15-20, and some rasboras. My shrimp are extremely voracious and have already started eating him. Do you all think i can trust my shrimp to take care of the body for me? With regular water changes and low feedings to keep the ammonia down? Or do you think he'll decompose too fast and foul my tank? If not, does anyone have some suggestions to respectfully remove his body from his shell without hurting the shell? Thanks much!

Blacksheep1

Aww , im sorry for your loss lovely. However , I do think if you don’t do it yourself you’ll see an ammonia spike, the shrimp will not take care of it for you. If you truly want to keep the shell then pull him out of the shell ( I’ve used a tooth pick which works well, or ask someone to do it for you ) and bury or do what you feel right for you with the muscle , then give truckers shell a rinse and then keep the shell as a reminder in your tank or wherever you feel is right .

Upvote 0

PAcanis

One of my friends wanted to clean a turtle shell (complete with turtle) and put it in his yard, staked it down with some hardware cloth over it so the bigger critters could not carry it away, and left it for several months.
Clean as a bean.

Not sure if this works in your case.

Maybe boil it and use a nut picker tool, or escargot fork, and have at it. It's already dead.

I would not leave it in the tank either.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • ayeayeron
  • Snails
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
  • Question
Replies
Views
AltVzn