How to clean my big pirate ship

Lily1

I bought a secondhand setup that has a big pirate’s ship, dating to 2015. I am certain it’s never been cleaned. It is home to a big catfish and several smaller cichlids, has many nooks and crannies. I tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush and kitchen scrubber when I changed the water. with minimum improvement. (It looks worse than my photos indicate). Appears I have to remove the 2 sections for a thorough cleaning.

I am aware some question cleaning tank decor as it may be rich in beneficial bacteria. I don’t see that as an issue here. The sump pump and substate should be sufficient so far as BB go, IMO.

I will not be able to scrub the interior. Can I
52B484C5-3643-40FE-943D-E77CAA71522B.jpegsafely dunk it in a dilute bleach solution, say 5%, and allow that to clean the interior? Thanks!
D5369672-37DC-4335-A33C-B66AC2865188.jpeg

New2fishlovinit

Hey ! I had a ship that I just cleaned not as old as yours but a pain nonetheless. I was trying to remove brown scummy and some beard algae that was starting on the front half - the back has awesome mosses growing knit so wanted to leave those alone. Soooo I carefully used hydrogen peroxide, on front half and let sit for 10 mins. Then I scrapped it with the a plastic spoon (did not want teeth from knife )
I rinsed in tap water then repeated the process with final rinse in a bucket of tank water. worked wonders and my moss lived.

B9F4EF70-14CC-4CB7-AF10-9C7BC69EC951.jpeg

7524D263-3D70-40B8-B109-E6ADBB777CA2.jpeg

Lily1

Thanks! I’ll try that! Sounds safer than bleach.

A lot of people say these ships are dated, but I still see the exact same one on Amazon and at the local fish pet store, so I guess some people still like them. I have a nearly 7” catfish who’s lived in the biggest section for years.
4FA406DC-5F25-46D4-868E-3CEECBCB8523.jpeg

New2fishlovinit

I have a mix of tanks some with “classic” ?lol, decor like the ship, I also have a romanish theme with a newer piece that’s a tribute to Stargate the Canadian scifi tv show. I also have just natural tanks mix it up its fun! I had a pleco that lived in the ship but now he lives deep under some rocks have not seen it since I moved them along time ago …three months maybe.

OutsideFoodBlob

Thanks! I’ll try that! Sounds safer than bleach.

A lot of people say these ships are dated, but I still see the exact same one on Amazon and at the local fish pet store, so I guess some people still like them. I have a nearly 7” catfish who’s lived in the biggest section for years.
4FA406DC-5F25-46D4-868E-3CEECBCB8523.jpeg
Hey if you like and fish like it, no one else’s opinion matters. It’s whimsical and practical since it’s a fish den.

When you said outdated it sort of made me wish someone made decor of actual hideous relics of the past like a Tab soda can. Lol.

Lily1

Sounds awesome! I like fake rocks too, but the ship works for my big guy & the smaller fish too.

is the pleco nocturnal? I have some pictus cstfish that aren’t seen daytimes.

BigManAquatics

Sounds awesome! I like fake rocks too, but the ship works for my big guy & the smaller fish too.

is the pleco nocturnal? I have some pictus cstfish that aren’t seen daytimes.
Most catfish are more nocturnal by nature. Almost always more active in the dark. Thats why most people go fishing for them at night!

Lily1

I don’t know anything about fishing!

they are indeed nocturnal, although the big synodontis E. sometimes swims around in the daytime. not everyday. I set up an infrared camera once and saw lots of night time catfish action for a few nights.

New2fishlovinit

I don’t know anything about fishing!

they are indeed nocturnal, although the big synodontis E. sometimes swims around in the daytime. not everyday. I set up an infrared camera once and saw lots of night time catfish action for a few nights.
Might have to try something like that. This poor guy was one of the first fish I got and suffered through most of my early mistakes so …he hides 100%. I don’t even see him with blue light on. The bottom of the tank is pretty dense but yeah I wonder if he’s alive sometimes …probably time to turn over that rock.

Lily1

Maybe he needs a welfare check.

A few times I thought my axotles were dead. They are super inactive daytimes, but seemed like the female was always in the same position in her hide & her gills weren’t moving. But she was fine when I picked up the hide.
C227D83A-2480-4D28-A460-EC503BAB6B4B.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Matthew RJ
Replies
Views
gremlin
Replies
Views
hipsterg
Replies