How to clean gravel vac this substrate?

airfix2

IMG_20220323_152733.jpg
panda cories for scale. whenever i stick the siphon straight into the substrate, the substrate goes straight into the tube and into the bucket. also, the fish poopl goes through the small cracks in the substrate, so i just stir up the substrate so that all the poop gets put back into the water column. anyone have any ideas on how i can vaccuum it better?

BigManAquatics

Might try a longer tube if the gravel keeps getting sucked up. Also, try looking at some videos on here or on youtube, sometimes they have some neat little tricks.

KingOscar

I like to use my thumb on the bucket end of the hose to regulate the flow. This way you can allow just the right amount of suction to only lift the gravel a couple inches or so. You can also plug it off completely and stop the flow at any time, which will drop all the gravel and any small fish or snails that may have gotten sucked up.

e_watson09

I kink the hose. So I'll push it in and as it starts to go up I'll kink the hose to slow the flow. This will cause the gravel to fall back down but it'll slowly keep sucking up the poo and junk. I do this with all of my finer gravels. Overtime you get to a point you do it without thinking

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cooperman411
Replies
Views
DillonPhoenix
Replies
Views
AnglerTheStrangler
Replies
Views