Question how to clean/disenfect/sanitize/quaratine petsmart anacharis live plant?

eric8055

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
a youtuber said she cleaned all her plants with bleach tho?

eric8055

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
have you gad success rinsing plants with tap water yourself if so did you fish get any parasite from the plant?

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
have you gad success rinsing plants with tap water yourself if so did you fish get any parasite from the plant?
Eric, I make sure any plants I buy were grown in a fishless snail free environment so when I get them, i just rinse and add them. The concern from buying plants from a big box LFS is that their plants are housed in aquariums interconnected by a filtration system. Again, do what you feel is right, have fun with it!

atc84

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lol i just added my plants. Plus even if you wash them the snails probably will come back (they always do in the end )

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just rinsing in tap water won't get rid of snail eggs. I have had very good luck using an alum solution soak to kill snails and eggs. It did not harm the plants, although you must rinse very carefully if you have other invertebrates.

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I eventually just learned to accept snails. They're a normal part of the ecosystem after all. But then I have fish that think a juicy young snail is the perfect snack so they're kept very much under control.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alum is my preferred method, as it's safe for all the plants I have ever tried it with, and kills snails and eggs if left for a good soak for a few hours. Here is a link to a good article about various plant dips....

As for bleach, many suggest it and have used it with good results, but DO NOT use bleach with anacharis. I have tried that before and it killed all of the anacharis. Bleach may be ok for some plants but not anacharis or many mosses. Bleach killing my anacharis is what led me to find and use alum.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom