How to clean decor?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by catfishlover123, Apr 18, 2010.

1. catfishlover123

catfishlover123Well Known MemberMember

Good morning everyone.
    Some of you may have read my thread about an ich problem. I plan to clean the decor, but I don't know how to do it to kill ick on it. My question is: what is the fastest and best way to clean ick off decor? Thank you very much!

Can you kill it with soap?

I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I suggest you leave the decor in the tank while you're treating the entire tank with the increased temperatures. There is really no need to remove the ornaments and clean it for ICH.

Ken

NEVER use soap on anything aquarium related!

Ken

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Ooh, yeah - soap and aquariums is a no-no.

4. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

+1

5. OP
    OP
    catfishlover123

But my heater's control is not precise and I don't know how high the teperature is because my mom won't buy me a thermometer.

6. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  7. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Tell her you'll do the dishs or something. You really need a thermometer in order to know you are maintaining a steady temperature. Especially if you're treating ICK with higher temps. You should be able to get one for a couple bucks.

8. OP
    OP
    catfishlover123

Well, here's the problem:
    We got a stick-on thermometer that came in the kit but it is never precise and my mom thinks she can read it, so she thinks I don't need another one. Can someone please answer my question: how do you clean the ICH of aquarium ornaments? Since I now know that higher temps is not going to work, cleaning the ICH, doing water changes and gravel vacs are the soulution I have.

9. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Catfishlover,

I'm sorry but you either need medications or raise the temperature in the tank to 85 or 86 degrees. Water changes and cleaning the ornaments isn't going to solve the problem.

Ken

10. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

+1. All the gravel vaccuuming & ornament cleaning in the world won't help get rid on Ich. The only way is raising the temp or using medications, just like Ken has stated.

Have a read of this: https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm

11. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

A thermometer is less than $3 and is an essential part of keeping fish. If your mom doesn't believe you, simply have her read this thread.

12. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Does she know they cost like $2?

13. pinksprklmonkey

pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

I got a thermometer at Walmart for 1.79. Could you maybe go on a change hunt? Finding 2 dollars in change shouldn't be too hard...

14. JustinF

JustinFValued MemberMember

Hey all, wouldn't a regular cooking thermometer work maybe your mom has one in the kitchen? or maybe another glass stick thermometer, heck even a human temp stick might work, or see if you can borrow one from someone else for the moment. Oh yeah if you want your mom to get you a thermometer, just tell her if you don't spend 2 dallors for it you'll end up spending more on new fish.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010