How to clean Black Diamond Sand Blaster

Nickguy5467

Well Known
you mean blasting sand? never used it but id imagine you clean any sand the same way. put in a bucket of water sift it and rinse over and over until you stop seeing dirt. you can just stick a hose in the bucket of sand actually and let the dirt overflow into a bathtub or something

Mlong66

I used to process black beauty which is the same as black diamond. It is reclaimed coal slag from power generation stations. At my job it was run through a barrel with a burner at the end which burned #4 fuel oil. I would be scared to use it just for that reason

MomeWrath

Well Known
Clean it in small batches in a 5 gallon bucket on your driveway or in the yard. Do not let that stuff run down your drain (or any sand for that matter really). It doesn't sink as well as PFS just because the grains are smaller and if you stick the hose in the bucket like you do for PFS you will lose half your sand before it's cleaned. I have it in one tank and I do not like it. The black is nice but it mounds up if you have any current in the tank. Plus out of five tanks with wood in them that is the only one where I have a fungus and a cyano problem. I feel like there is something in that sand that is not good.
If you want black sand I'd suggest you use Caribsea Tahitian Moon black sand. It's blacker and safer.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Mlong66 said:
I used to process black beauty which is the same as black diamond. It is reclaimed coal slag from power generation stations. At my job it was run through a barrel with a burner at the end which burned #4 fuel oil. I would be scared to use it just for that reason
I can understand your caution, but I've had neocaridina shrimp, which are generally more sensitive than fish, in a tank with the black blasting sand since early January. The colony is thriving. Including ones I've removed because I didn't like their colors I probably have 5 times as many as I started with.

John58ford

Well Known
I have a few tanks running it, I made a post about the different grades. I like it. I haven't had any unusual issues with mineral readings, TDS, oil slicks or bacteria. I have it in the same water systems as PFS, and also in stand alone tanks next to PFS tanks. Pool filter sand and black diamond require very similar maintenance on very similarity schedules, only the black diamond hides it better.

To clean mine, I start it in a bucket with cold water and a garden hose just like pool filter sand. After I clean the it excessively for a while in cold water, I drain it off decently and hit it with the same garden hose but connected directly to my hot water tap from behind my washing machine. I do usually get bit more gunk out of it with hot water.

Here's the info about the grades in case you haven't bought a bag yet. Black Diamond blasting sand grades | 440700 | Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand

FishGirl115

Well Known
I have it in my 10g planted betta tank. It's only been a week, but I like it so far. I have sponge filters.
I cleaned it in a bucket with hose. Just rinsed, poured, rinsed, poured, rinsed, poured, until the water came clean.

OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Thanks Everyone for your replies,
Being that it is coal slag, I would think more pains would have to be taken to clean it properly, but looks like I am wrong.

I don't know if I want to use it or not because I am getting mixed replies good and bad. I know that people have used it for a substrate and have had good results, but the idea of it being coal slag doesn't sound good to me. I will have to ponder on it for another day or two.

I am wanting to use all natural setups in my tanks, wood, live plants, and substrates found in nature. Sand, gravel, rocks, etc are all found naturally in all bodies of water, lakes, rivers, and salt water, but I don't think coal slag is.

New Threads