How To Clean Black Diamond Blasting Sand ?

dakota

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For those of you that are using this product how did you clean it to get all the oil that is in the product? I am in the process of getting a 75 gallon tank in the near future and want to use the substrate in it. I will be getting at least 150 lbs of it so I will have some cleaning to do that's why I am asking if there is an easy way to clean it. feedback greatly appreciated

Thanks Bill

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Easy way?...Nope. lol. I do mine bucket by bucket. Takes forever. Fill, stir with my hands, pour off soiled water and repeat excessively. What a pain. The end result was well worth it. Don't skip this step for an easy way out. You will end up causing yourself more problems.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is the tank a new build or are you changing out the substrate on an existing tank. If it's a new tank you can dump the rinsed substrate in after each bucket is thoroughly rinsed. I prefer to rinse it all over a day or two and let some of the water drain off, why lift extra weight. Then use a dust pan to scoop it out of the cooler I stored it in.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
oh boy... that's a lot of sand. i don't think there is an easy way. i do the same thing: just get a bucket, put some sand in there, use a hose and rinse, drain, rinse, drain... until the water that drains out of the bucket is clear and no longer cloudy. it's a pain :/

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used just over 100lbs in my 75 gallon. I half filled a 5 gallon bucket with gravel and a drop of Dawn dish soap and rinsed until the water was clear.

dakota

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the excellent feed back greatly appreciated

Bill

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just use a bucket and run water in it till its overflowing with mostly clear water .

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Me? I just let my filtration take care of it.

CCinBama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Did you put a specific media in your filter to clean the BDBS or just it run as normal? I have heard run foam or floss but I am not sure if I am supposed to fill the whole filter with just that...? (have an eheim 2217, new tank no fish yet)

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s easier to wash if you use something shallow like a litter pan to wash in. Prop one end up a bit and let the water run in and out while stirring.

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
CCinBama said:
Did you put a specific media in your filter to clean the BDBS or just it run as normal? I have heard run foam or floss but I am not sure if I am supposed to fill the whole filter with just that...? (have an eheim 2217, new tank no fish yet)
I haven't had any issues cleaning Black Diamond blasting sand. At first I used to rinse it bucket by bucket (shallow plastic container 14"x14"x6") but I noticed I wasn't getting much dust, just a little film of oil. So now I just dump it in the tank, then add water and let my canister filter (with surface skimmer) skim the oil and get any remaining suspended particles. Usually in less than 2 hours the water is crystal clear.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CCinBama said:
I guess I have been lucky. The sand I have gotten so far was rather clean. I just let the normal filtration handle it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom