How to Clean Aquarium Light?

Nickel5

Hi everyone,

I have calcium build up on my light which is blocking light to my plants. I was wondering how you clean it off, what works?
Keep in mind I can not remove my light it is on hangers attached to hood.
Pic to show the hood and light is mounted inside.

Attachments

• 02528838-E7B5-413F-9F59-B6D5D6A71EDF.jpeg
    02528838-E7B5-413F-9F59-B6D5D6A71EDF.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 11

Nopsu

Mix water and vinegar, dip a cloth in and wipe? Try not to drip in the tank but it's not super dangerous if few drops go in
Can also try if you can wrap the damp water/vinegar cloth around the bulb or so for 10-15min to soften up the mineral deposits

Nickel5

Oh good idea! I was wiping with vinegar and water but never thought of wrapping to soak.

SparkyJones

Goes without saying but needs to be said. Clean it with it unplugged.

Nickel5

Goes without saying but needs to be said. Clean it with it unplugged.
Yes, this is true! Thank you for the reminder :)

ForceTen

I use "Clear™" for lights and glass tops. It works very well but you need to rinse it well after cleaning. Vinegar works, but not as well as Clear.

Nopsu

I try to not use anything toxic in case I manage drop something in the tank. Vinegar is not so dangerous if it's just few drops

ForceTen

I try to not use anything toxic in case I manage drop something in the tank. Vinegar is not so dangerous if it's just few drops
I clean the tops away from the tank with a hose outside weather permitting. Same as when I use bleach.

Nickel5

I use "Clear™" for lights and glass tops. It works very well but you need to rinse it well after cleaning. Vinegar works, but not as well as Clear.
I have no way to remove to clean off harsh cleaners so I will have to stick to vinegar.
I will try the vinegar carefully.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
LilHoodoo
Replies
Views
jmaldo