How To Clean A Tank After Dropsy?

ishaboutfish

Reaction score
My beloved betta Robin Swilliams recently died (literally last night) from dropsy. I originally thought it was constipation and treated him as such, but the dropsy took over faster than I could treat for the right ailment. My question now is how do I clean the tank to prevent another dropsy death? I have a singular oto cat (lone survivor from a previous tank) and two bumblebee nerites still living in the tank.

How can I clean the tank without affecting the current inhabitants? The past several bettas both me and my roommate have had have all died of dropsy. Could it possibly be something wrong with our water? Water testing all came back normal and fully cycled.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your fish.

Dropsy isn't a disease in and of itself. It's a secondary symptom of a problem, and often that problem is water quality. (Not always, but often.) So you're not really looking to sterilize the tank from dropsy; you're more looking to identify what caused it.

Perhaps if you tell us about the fish's environment people will have some ideas. Tank size, how long you had it and the fish, specific water parameters including temp and pH, tank cleaning routine, what kind of filter and how it's maintained, any water treatments and chemicals used, what you were feeding and how often, if you're using tap/spring/reverse osmosis water, etc. The more info the better. A picture of the tank might help too.

ishaboutfish

Reaction score
So the tank is a 5.5 gallon with a Aqueon Quietflow 10 which was set up after continuing algae issues with my fluval spec V.

The tank was completely cycled and had been set up for over a year. Ammonia was at 0, Nitrate was 0, and nitrate was 40. I think my ph portion of my kit may just be old but I was getting reading of 7.6 and then later on in my other tank was getting 6.4 which it never fell that low before.

The filter was only cleaned in dirty tank water and the tank was getting top offs ever week with a 50% change every two or 3 weeks (sometimes a little longer than that). The filter was run on previously cycled media from the chamber of the Fluval spec V and the gravel was the same as the previous tank as well.

The tank is heated with a preset aqueon heater (I believe 50 watt?) and the tank was kept around 80 degrees.

Prime was used to dechlorinate and Excel was used for plants that were in the tank but I found myself not able to keep up with the plants (I'm in college) so I discontinued the use of the plant fert. The water was just tap water dechlorinated and prepped with the Prime.

Robin was fed a rotation of aqueon pellets, Omega one betta buffet pellets, Omega one freshwater flakes, and hikari pellets He got roughly 4-6 pellets or 1-2 crushed flakes once every day. The oto and the snails got omega one algae pellets and omega one shrimp pellets probably once a week since they just pick up after the betta for the most part.

My concern now is for the current inhabitants of the tank. Should I try to do a deep clean? I don't have another tank set up to move them to if I need to do a deep clean. Is it just a coincidence that almost all of our bettas have ended up with dropsy? Could it just be the store we are getting them from along with poor breeding?

I will upload a picture of the tank shortly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom