How To Clean A One Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by FoulFishes, Dec 3, 2012.

1. FoulFishes

FoulFishesValued MemberMember

I have a one gallon tank I use for breeding pond snails for my Assassin Snail. This tank has never ever been cleaned and has been running for a very long time. How would I go about cleaning the gravel? I have a vacuum but its for tanks 15-55 gallons. All the water would be gone before I could do the whole tank. I have come to terms with the fact I may lose a few baby pond snails in the process, but this tank has needed it for a long time.

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I'm assuming there isn't a heater or filter, as one wouldn't really fit in a one gallon tank. Therefore the tank isn't cycled, though there may be a small amount of bacteria living in the gravel.

To be honest, I wouldn't even keep snails in a one gallon tank. I had pond snails breeding in a 10 gallon and my HOB filter couldn't keep up. They produce surprising amounts of waste. If the one gallon tank hasn't been cleaned in awhile, I can't imagine how gunky it must be.

I would get a five gallon bucket and a sponge filter. It doesn't sound very fancy, but once the sponge filter has cycled, it'll be much more humane. Plus, with no gravel, it will be very easy to clean. :)

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I would just do a gravel vacuum - they make little mini ones that are cheap. Aside from that, I wouldn't worry about cleaning it.

4. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

Yep. I would remove the gravel altogether. I breed snails in those yellow cat litter buckets. I use them for the square space saving shape but I used to use a 5 gallon.

5. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Well it really all started when the pond snails came on some plants, I didn't want them so I decided against putting them out in the pond by my place, so I kept them for food, and eventually got Assassins to knock em' out when I add new plants. I'm sure the ammonia is pretty high in that tank, but I do have a big air pump so the water is clean. In fact, I have many live plants in the growing wonderfully (go figure). Maybe I shoul take out the gravel and leave it bare bottom so I don't run into this issue again..

6. Jaysee

I guess I've failed to see what the "issue" is...

7. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I just thought it'd be nice to clean it every now and then..these suckers can poop alot, and they are being fed to my pets..

8. Jaysee

But you aren't experiencing any problems...

Again, I would just hit it with your vacuum. You can suck out all the water - the snails will live.

9. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Well I like to check up on all my tanks frequently, try to prevent problems before they start. But yeah, that sounds like a good plan. Even if all the water comes out before its done there really is no need to clean the entire thing at once, since it isn't hurting anyone or causing problems.

10. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Cleaning to prevent an issue is the idea here. Just go barebottom and scoop half of your water out with a cup once a week.

11. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

If you want to keep the gravel you could also just stir the gravel by hand and dump the water out while the mulm is still suspened in the water.

12. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't lose the gravel if there's plants growing in it... it's been running as it is a very long time there's clearly something working :)

With such a small setup with live plants and gravel holding bacteria that's never been removed, it's possible it could be coping with the snail waste isn't it? Just vac a quarter of it at a time or however much you can do before the water gets sucked out... I used to do my 10 gallon the same way. Could never get it all vac'd before the water got low.

13. Jaysee

Aren't there plants in this tank?

14. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Let me clarify haha, yes I put some of my plant clipping in there to help deal with the snail's waste, but none of them are actually in the gravel right now. They are all plants that can be floated or planted. Since its kinda a cheap tank I decided to just float them cause the only light soucre is a small incadescent bulb. I'm suprised at how much new growth I have gotten due to what I believe is them being so close to the light. The Anacharis clippings are looking better than alot of the Anacharis in my 20 gallon, and those are all planted and get florescent light, and I just introduced Flourish Comprehensive today for the first time.

15. scotty b

scotty bWell Known MemberMember

there is Powered gravel vacks that filter out the waist and add the water back to the tank this may be worth looking into

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice