How To Clean A New Used Tank?

1. PepperidgeFarms

PepperidgeFarms Valued Member Member

I just found a 40 gallon aquarium with stand on craigslist for $50.... it says 40 gallon Eclipse with fluorescent canopy and built in filter system.
    I don't actually know anything about built in filter systems but I'll post that question elsewhere... Anyway it's kind of filthy right now. Since I don't know the condition it was in originally how can I give it a solid cleaning to start fresh... Is bleach an option or not really?

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Bleach can be but you really really need to rinse it good. I usually just use a new sponge and salt for abrasiveness. Vinegar is another option. Peroxide is another a 50-50 mix on a rag for final cleaning.

3. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Vinegar and water solution. Easy Google for the exact %'s

4. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Valued Member Member

I always go vinegar and water for this type of thing. Works just fine, and I always have vinegar lying around.

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Just be careful with the smell. I can’t stand vinegar for some reason. I stick to hydrogen peroxide or bleach.

If you don’t rinse the tank out well enough with vinegar, your pH will drop and your tank will smell like vinegar.

6. King o´ Angelfish

King o´ Angelfish Valued Member Member

I dont really like the smell fo vinegar either, same for bleach tho. Either way you´d have to rinse out well, and after thoroghly rinsing its highly unlikely the tiiiiiiiiny bit of remaining viengar will lower the pH. I was reading an article saying it´d take 7mL of vinegar to lower pH from 8 to 7, the person why trying this on a barell of water since playing around with pH is dangerous.

7. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I use Dawn, sponge and a razor blade.

8. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

I have bleached lots of tanks over the years. here is the method I use -
    Put in 1 part unscented regular bleach to 15-20 parts water. let the tank sit for 15 minutes. empty rinse tank until the smell is almost or completely gone. fill with water and 5x the normal amount of dechoronatior. let the tank sit for 30-60 minutes. empty rinse again and you are good to go.

I have done this on over 20 tanks (fresh and saltwater) with no ill effects at all.