how to change the filter/not lose good creatures

1. batyboo Initiate Member

I have a ten gallon tank with a beta 5 cardinal tetras a clown loach, 3 hemigrammus and 1 siamensis. I am using an Aqueon medium filter with an Aqueon QuietFLow filter. Beta has been in the tank a year. All other fish were added a month ago and all has been good in the tank. When cleaning today we rinsed filter in tank water we had removed. When I put filter back in tank it spewed dirt throughout the tank. Think I should replace it but how do I do so and not remove good bacteria? Have had same filter since starting the tank.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I change out all my aqueon tanks filter media once a month. I usually cut some of the foam off the old cartridge and shove it in the filter with the new one for a week or so. I also try not to clean my filter the same time I clean my tank.

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You rinsed off your filter media, however, you should also get in the habit of rinsing out the entire filter housing.

You will continue to have a problem with a dirty tank going forward, because you are overstocked.

4. batyboo Initiate Member

I have heard of people just rinsing the filter vs. changing it every month. Is there a different filtration system I could do that with? Thanks for tip on rinsing housing.

How many fish do you think I can have in 10 gallon tank? Also how many pinches of food do you give them? And how often? Feeding them TetraMin.

5. fbn Well Known Member Member

Some sick stuff usually comes out when I start my filter back up, too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Definitely do not get anymore fish in a tank that size. You may want to read up on Fishlores Fish Profiles to gain some more knowledge on the fish you have. Clown Loaches grow to be very large and will need a much larger tank.

Welcome to Fishlore by the way!

6. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Betta - this tank is perfect for a lone betta
    Cardinal tetras - need a school of 8 and require a 25 gallon or larger tank
    Clown loach - need a school of 5 and require a 75 gallon - 125 gallon or larger tank
    Hemigrammus - what species do you have?
    Siamensis - need a 40 gallon tank or larger

You're pretty much doomed with the stocking you have right now. I would return all the new fish.

7. camel89 Initiate Member

As far as rinsing the filter, that doesn't do much except remove some of the physical waste/food trapped on there. You need to replace the filter because the carbon inside the filter gets used up and deactivated over time. Almost all overhang power filters are gonna have filters you need to replace about every 4-6 weeks.

8. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I respectfully disagree.

If you have a filter cartridge that also contains carbon, you can cut the carbon insert out of it and reuse just the cartridge. There's no need to pay more for filter media than absolutely necessary.

If by "overhang", you mean HOB (hang on back), I have 2 HOB filters and neither of them contains a cartridge with carbon. It's also easy enough to just purchase sponges or batting material or whatever you want to replace these cartridges no matter what filter you have.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't use Carbon in my filters, either, even in the AquaTecks and Top Fin that I have, that are made to use only Carbon inserts. I just stuff my filters full of filter sponges, and call it a day :) So far, I haven't had to change them, just the occasional rinse in tank water.

10. batyboo Initiate Member

So you just use the filter media and no carbon or after I remove the carbon do I put the sponge inside the remaining white filter media?

I see now the clown loach will get huge. Alas he's my little boys favorite fish as he goes side ways and hides in the holes of the rocks.

The hemmigrammus are rummy nosed tetras.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I just use filter sponges right from the box :) (Well, rinse them in warm water first, but yeah lol)

12. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

The rummies need more room. I have mine in my 46. Part of the reason for more room is that they require a larger school than other tetras.

Did you research any of these species before you purchased them? That always works in your favor.

13. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

If that's the favorite fish maybe look into a larger tank to house them without stunting the growth of the fish? I have 6 in my 125 and they are all very small but I love them. Very cute little fish. If you go bigger most of your other fish would be happier as well.

14. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member