How To Change Ph

1. MudSkipper

MudSkipper Valued Member Member

I don't know where to post this question.
    Currently I am interested in Discus and want information for the future when I wish to have a discus tank.

Does anyone know how to reliably decrease the ph and keep it low?
    Also I don't believe how "delicate" discus are, if they were like how people are making them out to be they wouldn't be able to live in the wild

2. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

Most Discus are captive bred now, so they should be able to adapt to a home aquarium conditions. You can also contact the seller of the pH level. They have a pH powder. Also almond leaves should help lowering the pH.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

They are not delicate, they just require all the same things that other fish do, just more so. Clean, stable water is the utmost important thing. This is easy in the wild because you are talking about millions of gallons.
    Get non wild ones, they will be much easier to care for without having to do crazy things to your water. I actually just emailed Discus Hans the other day asking about my water params for his fish (7.8PH GH/KH both above 10) and he said that is more than fine for his fish. If you must have low PH water RO is where to start, and buffer from there. Very low PH, very soft water is rather....unstable and can crash, which basically means the PH changes wildly, very quickly, VERY bad for fish.

Concentrate more on stability rather than 'perfect', especially with non-wilds.

Dont fall into the trap of using products like PH Down, sure they will lower the PH, but if your water is hard the 'buffering' capacity is high and the PH will slowly rise back up...then you dose again, PH falls, and then rises back up. That change is what will kill your fish.

4. OP
    OP
    MudSkipper

I do plan on captive bred. My pH is 8.4 and it never moves, would that be an issue?

5. Bizarro252

Hans pointed me to this, states that hsi fish are fine to 8.3, you can ask them directly but 8.4 should be fine as well

6. OP
    OP
    MudSkipper

Wow! I didn't know Discus could handle that, I thought that all captive bred would only like soft acid. Thanks for the info

7. Bizarro252

Sure thing, I have been doing research myself because I REAAAALLLLY want them someday. Discus Hans is a rather famous breeder and I plan to go with them, very hardy fish that have already been bred in tap water conditions for generations.

Here is the link to all the resources he gave me (where that other link I pasted above came from as well):

8. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

That "delicate" discus warning that the experienced discus keeper gives to the novice... and that you "doubt, " you might take a second look at...because you just might find yourself spending a lot of time, money, and frustration with no positive outcome. Just sayin'

9. c

chickenghost Valued Member Member

I think that peat fiber decreases acidity. discus definitely prefer lower PH, but they should adapt