How To Change Filters Without Destroying My Cycle?

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have a Marineland HOB filter ment for up to 20 gallons and a sponge filter meant for 20-30.
I have a 20g long but want to upgrade my HOB to one that can handle up to 30 gallons just to have better filtration.
My current HOB only has a cartridge filter floss thing and a bio wheel.
I know everyone always advises to use old filter media in a new filter but how would I transfer old filter media that's ment for a smaller filter into a larger one???

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Just stick the new cartridge behind one of the bigger ones, problem solved.

To never replace cartridges, put a sponge cover over your filter's intake and throw biomedia in the filter compartment along with the current cartridge. Wait about a month and you can toss the cartridge forever, all you'd need to do is wring out the intake sponge once a week. The biomedia will never need to be replaced.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What Thunder said. Put the old filter right on the new tank, run the new filter too. After 4-6 weeks take the old filter off..... OR just put the old filters media in the new filter. Problem solved.

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im not changing tanks just wanting more filtration. I thought about running both at the same time until the new one builds some gb. Won't running both create too much current and bother my fish though?

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can put a piece of coarse filter sponge on the outflow (waterfall part) of one of your filters to baffle the flow. I use a rubber band to hold it in place. This way you can run two filters but still have an area calm water.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im not changing tanks just wanting more filtration. I thought about running both at the same time until the new one builds some gb. Won't running both create too much current and bother my fish though?
I run 700 GPH filtration on our 37 gallon guppy aquarium and they are fine. HOB and canister.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom