How To Change A Hob Filter

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have had my tank running for about 3-4 months and havent changed my filter media out. I cleaned it in aquarium water but it has gotten to the point where water cant pass through it when its open all the way. Its one of those slip in medias with carbon inside of it. I know it hold a lot of the BB and I dont want to cause a mini cycle. How should I clean/switch it?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d get some new slip ins, but only replace one at a time. Leave the new one in for 2-3 weeks then replace another. Continue until all are replaced.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’d get some new slip ins, but only replace one at a time. Leave the new one in for 2-3 weeks then replace another. Continue until all are replaced.
gently rinse off the cartridge in tank water or dechlorinated water. then cut off and place the fibers back into the filter along with some new media, like polyfill, sponge, or ceramic. The old fibers contain a lot of the bacteria. you will keep it to seed the new media.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/diy-media-guide-for-top-fin-silenstream-aquaclear-and-other-hob-filters.385506/
It is a filter from topfin so there is only 1 slip in. I think the fibers will fall into the tank if I cut them.

Lefky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats a good idea lol. Should I just put the bag in behind the new cartridge facing towards the filter?

I tried that a couple times but I still have to keep the filter on low or it will overfill.
That should be fine, just make sure water moves through it and it’ll work.

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There is a thread kicking around here somewhere that shows you how to fill your topfin with different media to keep from having to buy cartridges again. You can cut one end off the current one, dump the carbon and put all the finer material into a filter bag with some better bio media to help seed the new stuff.

Edit: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/index.php?threads/385506/

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For my Marineland Penguin 350. I dumped the cartridges. I found it cheaper to buy sponges/ filter floss and cut to size. This does however void the mfg warranty so keep that in mind.

andy305mia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
First, turn it off. This way you don't bomb your tank when you pull the filter out. Then take it and shake it really well in some tank water. Do this once a week and you're good. The carbon is not required unless you have medicine in the tank you need to soak up. You don't need to change the filter until its falling apart. You can buy small media bags like for Aquaclear filters, Petco/Petsmart sells them cheap, and toss them in the sump, great for beneficial bacteria, just clean them the same way you clean the filters. HOB filters are great if you trick them out a little. I had some Tetra IQ HOB filters that were amazing, super quiet and easy to maintain. Popped some mechanical filter bags in the filters and good to go. Never once "replaced" a filter. Don't forget water changes, they are just as important as cleaning filters. Good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom