How To Catch Amano Shrimps In A Planted Tank?!

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by alvinkoh, Jun 17, 2019.

1. alvinkohValued MemberMember

Hi guys,

How do you catch amanos shrimps from planted tank?

I wanted to re-home my amanos as they have been killing off my smaller tetras [​IMG]

Spent close to an hour last night and only managed to successfully net out one while luring it with algae wafer [​IMG]

Are there any simple DIY trap or cheat code to catch them?

2. NoboteValued MemberMember

A clear rectangular plastic container and a net to chase them into it.

3. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Something like that @Nobote said. I had to catch about 23 fry, what I did was lure them near the wall and put the net over them. Then I flick the glass so it makes them move backwards into the net.

4. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Depending on what your stocking is you can make a trap out of a plastic water bottle without the cap. Cut the top 1/4 off, turn it upside down into the rest of the bottle, add a few pieces of favorite food and leave over night.

But if you have other small scavengers, you'll catch those too. I used this to catch kuhli loaches and caught my shrimp a few times in the process.

5. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I would say they aren't actually killing off your fish. Amanos don't go after healthy fish - at least it would be extremely rare for them to. They may go after sick fish. Either they aren't amano shrimp or the fish were already dead or incredibly close to it. Looking at your tank it seems you have a whole lot of fish in a 10 gallon - or at least used to. I'd guess that's the root of the problem personally.

6. alvinkohValued MemberMember

Does amano catch smaller fishes at night while they are asleep? I have 3 amanos which are quite large..

7. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

If you have a shrimp attacking fish I'd say it's a ghost shrimp Ammanos are not predators a photo will help
    @Feohw is quits right

8. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Amanos do get quite large, but will not prey on fish, unless the fish is already dead.

9. alvinkohValued MemberMember

Weird i googled Ghost Shrimp images and they look so similar to Amanos.. but read some articles on Ghost Shrimps and they mentioned they are peaceful! Hmm..

10. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

they will attack and eat their young they will eat any young shrimp and will also have a go at young fry, they are mainly kept as feeder shrimp

11. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I was of the understanding that amano and ghost shrimp are both peaceful, but if you are accidentally given a whisker shrimp which looks similar, those are the aggressive ones

12. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Let's have a picture to identify your shrimp. Ammano shrimp do not attack and kill other shrimp, the only time this happened is if a shrimp is dying or dead then all shrimp will join in

13. NoboteValued MemberMember

Some ghost shrimp will get aggressive when they gain some size...and often will learn to attack small fish.
    The other poster is right---Whisker shrimp are much worse though and are much more likely to try and take down a fish.

14. skarWell Known MemberMember

I keep ghost shrimp in with smaller shrimp and fish than themselves.
    I've not seem them kill or aggress anything in the tank.

Same with the amano shrimp, they are all quite peaceful.

They will eat dead fish or shrimp just fyi .
    Very likely there's Some other reason for the fish deaths.

15. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

It's the other reason that needs to be looked at then, is there a disease you may have missed

16. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I think the reason would be the large stock for a 10 gallon. Before the deaths there were:

3x gourami (2 honey 1 red robin)
    10x ember tetra
    13x green neon tetra
    5x platies
    4x Amano
    6x bumblebee nerites.

I don't know if all of these have been there since the last post I saw. Definitely a lot for a 10 gallon - can easily lead to problems. How many are left now and what types are left OP?

17. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

That's a lot I doubt the filter is keeping up

18. liliroseValued MemberMember

Wow. That's a crazy amount of stock to have in such a tiny space. I seriously doubt Amanos are attacking healthy fish- I would move 75% of your fish stock to another tank before I'd go chasing down Amanos and blaming them for deaths.

19. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

As for ghost shrimp, the problem I have with them is that there are so many different varieties of Palaemonetes, and there are plenty of other shrimp such as Macrobrachium are sold as ghosts too. Not all ghosts are the same, some are more aggressive and some people end up with huge or brackish shrimp, which is why common names can be very misleading, and why I like to pay attention to scientific names too. As well as that many shops have a habit of selling the kinds that you don't want to have - they tend to sell as feeders so they don't necessarily care. If you were to get the common ghost shrimp Palaemonetes paludosus (from North America and I don't see them here at all) then you would likely encounter few problems. Even so there are many reports of them being more aggressive than other shrimp and they are definitely quite opportunistic.

I never have to worry about all that though as I don't particularly like how they look. Amanos are much nicer to look at imo.

20. imbaWell Known MemberMember

Oh wow, I have less than half the amount of fish in my 20g! OP maybe its wise to do a water test, as others have suggested, maybe the water quality is compromised causing deaths instead of shrimp hunting your tetras.