How To Care For Swordtail Fry

ThePetPavilion

Taking Care of Swordtail Fry is a subject that I rarely ever find anything written about, so I figured I would write something about it.

Housing
Housing swordtail fry is VERY easy. You can use as small as a betta cup that you get bettas in for 1 fry to 100 gallon for as many fry as you'd like. I would preferably like to raise them with some other fry so they know what it's like to be around other fish. I raise my fry in quart sized mason jars, with 2 or 3 in each jar.

Water Parameters
They can live in a wide variety of temperatures: 65-82 degrees Fahrenheit. Even though they can live in a variety of temperatures sudden drops in temperature can harm your fry. They prefer very hard water 12-30 dGH and ideal pH is 7.0- 8.4.

Feeding
You can feed your little babies some HikarI First Bites (mine love them), Baby Brine Shrimp, Small or chopped Bloodworms, and crushed adult fish food. You can also feed them Daphnia and Mosquito Larvae.

And try to make sure that they have warm, clean, and water with enough oxygen in it.

Zka17

LOL, try to have warm, clean water without H2O!

I usually keep them in a net cage in the same aquarium where they were born... at least for 3-4 weeks... then move them in a grow out tank - 10-20 gallons...

goldface

Water is H2O. Maybe you meant to write oxygen.

ThePetPavilion

and water with enough H2O in it.
LOL. For some reason I thought H2O was oxygen. I'll edit it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ThePetPavilion
Replies
Views
dlevesque1
  • Question
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
Replies