How To Care For Eggs?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by EternalDancer, Apr 22, 2017.

1. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

So, apparently, I managed to catch myself a male and a female bumblebee goby.

She's been hiding out a lot this last couple days.

I spotted her earlier swimming around, and noticed what seemed to be a large gravid spot.

I've had a google (seriouslyfish) because I knew they weren't livebearers, and have zero knowledge about raising egglayers. Apparently she could well be looking for a place to lay, and apparently, they're not too complex to raise successfully.

So. I have a tank I could put the pair in. I could throw in some nice deep substrate, some weeds, a couple little rocks, and some sort of little cave for her to go lay under.
    As I understand it, once she's dropped the eggs, I take her out and leave him in there for a week (or so) to parent until the babies are free-swimming. Once he's done tending, I remove him also and grow out the fry.

So, question. Assuming my run-down above is correct... any idea on when I need to move her? Or, is she already too far along and it's best to leave her rather than disturb her?
    I'd dearly love to have lil babies, but if she lays in her current tank the eggs will get eaten.
    I'd still rather that than stress her out too close to laying, so, if that's how it is, so be it.

Here's my pale lil lady, I'll try and get a photo of Mr CameraShy tomorrow for if anyone wants to see bbg "plumage".

Attached Files:

2. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

They lay eggs upon breeding and require a breeding cave. A friend of mine uses PVC and iirc they always lay the eggs on the inside roof of the cave.

Moving the pair will not be an issue unless you're like a bull in a china shop.

3. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Excellent! Thank you.

I'll get them set up and switched out this morning then.

Any ideas on when I could expect eggs to be laid? This week? A month away...?

If anyone knows how long it (roughly) may be until she lays, I'd appreciate the insight.

If she lays and I take her back out, do j need to do anything else or just leave him to care for his offspring?

Am I better off floating a tub in the main tank for them, or giving them their own little tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  4. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Typically the females dark spots will get darker. She certainly looks ready. The male will zip around the surface and when he wants to breed hang out in his cave and try to entice her inside. It's really up to him. Once they breed he will guard the eggs and won't leave the cave unless chasing and rarely to feed.

5. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Hmm. I wonder if they've already picked a cave?

I don't want to take them away from their cave if they have, but I'll never find the selected spot in my tank...

I'll have to create a mini-version of my tank in their little tank to try and make them feel as comfortable as possible.

Hopefully she's still carrying. I haven't seen her yet this morning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice