How to care for chewed up betta? Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Charlemagne, Apr 4, 2010.

1. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

HELP!!!!!! How do I care for chewed up betta?

Ok, this is my first betta rescue. I went to Walmart, and happened(no kidding! this was totally my sister's idea!) to stop by the fish section. I noticed that there was this BEAUTIFUL orange betta in the black skirt tetra tank! And there were about 40 BSTs in a 5 gal. tank! The poor little guy had his almost his whole under fin chewed off!!! :;fru I just HAD to rescue the poor little guy. The fish lady said that his little bowl had cracked, so she had to put him in a big tank. Right now, he's in a 1 gal. bowl on my dresser. I don't have any other tank to put him in other than the breeder's net in the 29 gal. He's under my desk lamp, which gets pretty hot, to give him a little heat. I put some stress zyme in the water, but other than that I don't know what to do. He seems to be ok, he's swimming around and he ate 4 freeze dried blood worms. Any other suggestions? His fins and tail are pretty torn up. I know to change the water every day, but other than that? Thanks guys!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Awwww, poor little guy.
    The best things you can use is some extra Stress Coat, Vita-chem and Garlic Guard.
    These aren't medications, but will help build his immune system and promote fin re-growth.

Have a tank that is cycled (or daily water changes, completely free of ammonia or nitrites) and a warm consistant temp are a must.

Good luck with the little guy.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Ok, thanks! So, when I do water changes, do I do 100%? Or just scoop like half of it out and replace it? And should I keep using stress zyme? And does garlic guard mean soaking his bloodworms in garlic? Also, this is my first time feeding Bettas bloodworms. I know they can beg like anything, so how many would be approximately how many he should eat? Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I would not use stress zyme at all, it has the wrong bacteria in it for aquatic use. I would get some prime to use as a water conditioner. I am not so sure as to how much water to change out, hopefully someone will come along with that answer.

If you are feeding freeze dried bloodworms, definitely soak them in garlic or tank water. They can cause constipation. I would not feed them that as a staple just as a treat maybe 1-2 a week. They have betta flakes and pellets you can feed daily.

I feed my betta 2 times daily, a very small amount. Like three pellets or 1 flake broken up.

Good Luck

5. Lucy

Garlic Guard is a product you can buy. Many members just use garlic juice (no additives). You can soak a blood worm or a add a drop to the water.

How many depends on his size and age. I'm used to females, they're quite small at the stores compared to the males.
    I start with one or two then as they get bigger increase to 3 or 4.

I've never kept a betta in a 1g, so just a guess, at least 50% daily. You can suck out waste or left over food with a turkey baster.
    Personally, I prefer a 5g cycled tank. It's easier to keep a consistent temp.

Until he heals and you can get a proper tank, why not out him in the breeder net (assuming your big tank is cycled).

Here's some info:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-archive/2218-welcome-betta-care-guide-please-read-first.html
    Just make sure he doesn't jump.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks! Wouldn't the current in the big tank bother him though?

7. Lucy

I'm sorry, I assumed it hung on the side? If so, you can hang it somewhere where there isn't much current.

8. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I usually give my boys four bloodworms each (I feed frozen). I have some boys that'll beg for them (Amun and Laurent to name two) and others who are done after two or three and swim away (Emmett and Gordon, for example). I wouldn't do any more than four, though, regardless of how much he begs.

As for healing fins...pristine water is the best bet. I've had a couple of boys get their fins munched on (Edward knocked over the divider and got in with Gordon, who he hates...oddly, Edward got the worse end of the deal) and just keeping their water perfect healed their fins in a few days.

9. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Im with lucy....hang a breeding net on the side of your current tank that way he has a cycled/filtered/heated tank ( assuming the 29g is cycled of course)

10. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

hi....i had a similar experience. i was at walmart and saw this little betta in with bala sharks and loaches. his fins were all nipped off. i bought him and kept him in a bowl until a tank was ready. i did about 90% daily changes,(used a turkey baster to suck out the gunk) using prime, stress coat and vita-chem. that way he could still be in the bowl and not be taken out every time. it was working quite well. his fins were growing. i have pics on my profile.

he went into a 2.5g that was just ending a mini cycle, and i was doing 25% daily changes.....he was ok until a couple days ago. was lethargic and depressed. the he got bloated. i thought he was constipated, so i fasted him for a day....but he got worse and worse. paler, more bloated, head was down, tail was up.....and some scales were standing up. it came on really fast. i just don't know. maybe he had too much damage from the sharks? i lost him yesterday. :(

good luck with your boy. i too kept finn (when in the bowl), near a little lamp for some heat. but thanks for rescuing him! he'd have had no chance if you didn't. :;f

11. OP
    OP
    C

Ok, thanks everyone for all your advice. Wolfgang(as my brother named him) seems much happier today. I was away for most of the day, but when I got home this evening, he'd blown a nice little bubblenest and was happily flaring and chasing his reflection on the side of his bowl. Shawnie and Lucy, thanks for the advice, I would put him in the breeder's net, except we have a tiny little guppy in there that gets lost in the tanks when we let him out. Also, I have my other betta Charlemagne in there and I'm afraid he might pester him and stress him. So, he'll have to stay in the bowl for now. I'll do daily water changes, and everything and just hope for the best. He's much more active today and ate 3 pellets for dinner, so I'm hoping he's gonna make it. Jerilovesfrogs, so sorry to hear about Finn :( I looked at a couple pics of him, and he was even more chewed up than Wolfgang. Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted.

12. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

jerilovesfrogs, sounds like your boy got dropsy (bloated and scales sticking up). There's nothing you can do, nothing specific causes it, you could have done no more for him, maybe it was something as simple as stress, who knows? I'm sorry.

Charlemange, sounds like he will be fine, if he's more active and eating, then it's a good start. If they're off their food, then its bad lol! Keep us updated and he'll be better before you know it.

13. OP
    OP
    C

Hi guys, he's doing well again today. He's turning out to be a feisty little guy! :p I put the tip of my finger in to make sure his water wasn't too warm(I ran out of thermometers) and he immediately swam over from the other side of the bowl, started to puff at my finger, and ended up biting it several times!!! Did the first water change today (was gone all day yesterday, so didn't have the chance to do one) and he's HARD to catch!!!! I was trying to catch him in a little betta cup to I wouldn't have to use a net on his shredded fins, but I couldn't catch him! I even let the cup float in the water until he got into it(about 20 secs, he's quite curious) and I STILL couldn't get him in it. Had to use a net, but didn't seem to tear his fins anymore. He swam agitatedly up and down his cup while I rinsed his bowl, and was glad to be back. I'm thinking he'll be fine now. I'll see if I can post a pic later tonight or tomorrow.:;fg

14. Tigerfishy

You can keep him in the bowl when changing water, it will stress him a bit less than havin gto be chased by a net each time. Suck everything up around him and carefully put the new water in.

Warning: If he's anything like my Mars, he will chase the syphon/hose/baster/whatever you use! It makes water changes interesting though lol. He does not understand the concept of sit and stay...

15. OP
    OP
    C

Lol, we don't have a turkey baster though, and the only siphon is for the big tank, so I don't really have anything to suck up the stuff off the bottom with.

16. OP
    OP
    C

So, I'm just wondering . . . .how long do you guys think it will take for his fins to re-grow? His tail's mostly there, but his underfin is down to like 2 cms. How long did it take for some of your fish to re-grow fins?

17. Tigerfishy

It depends on the fish really I think. Any tears can heal fine in a couple days, but fin regrowth from 2cm, probably a little longer haha!

Hopefully someone else can give you better info. I have a danio growing a long finned tail back just now, but that's a different species. In just over a month or so, he's grown it by 1cm from nothing...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice