How To Care For An Emerald Dwarf Rasbora

1. B

BenjaminW2003 New Member Member

I got this tiny guy from Pet Supplies Plus for free and she is healthy and active (not to mention adorable). I am going to put her in a two gallon tank with hiding spots and a low-power filter she can't get sucked into. Can I feed her brine shrimp eggs? Do I need a heater? What are the care requirements for this species? I haven't found much online or in my reference guides, so I am not sure where to begin.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Emerald dwarf rasboras are schooling fish. This means they need to be kept in groups of 6+, ideally 10 or more. Without this she will be very stressed and more likely to get ill.

They also need 10 gallons mininmum.

She needs 70-75f. While you may not need a heater for this temperature you should still get one so that the temperature remains stable.

You can feed brineshrimp eggs and brineshrimp. She needs a varied diet including small pellets or crushed flakes and a range of frozen foods such as daphnia and brineshrimp.

3. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Definitely schooling and definitely stressed without friends. I'd get her in a 10 gallon and 10-12 friends. You will see much more natural and interesting behaviors that way. Imo 70 is a bit low but I imagine they would do alright, I've always kept both danios and rasbora between 72-76. They are very similar to celestial pearl danios and have very very small mouths. They do need a variety and you can feel crushed up tropical flakes and you may need to tap the water to get them to sink as she will probably spend most of her time hidden by herself. If you choose flakes be sure to supplement with at least some daphnia and brine shrimp eggs as their natural diet mostly consists of insect and insect larvae.

4. OP
    OP
    B

I didn't see any more at the store. If I give her hiding spaces will she be okay on her own for a little while? Right now she is in a tank with 2 Emperor Tetras, 4 Neons, and a Peppered Cory.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

She'll be ok so long as she's OK, stress isn't good for fish it leaves them susceptible to diseases just like it does you or I.... I would definitely be looking for tank mates for her or for someone who has a group that you could donate her to. An watch your tetras emperor tetras has a notorious mean streak to them I've never kept them due to that so I can't vouch for how true that is but definitely watch as she's going to be quite vulnerable on her own already they may very well stress her to death if they decide to target her.

All the tetras should have 6-8 and the Cory needs a school of friends also... Just FYI

6. OP
    OP
    B

My Emperor Tetras are very peaceful. They get a pinch of flake food (their favorite) every day. The cory eats sinking pellets, and the Neons and Rasbora are not acclimated completely. The Neons are eating, but not a lot.

7. BottomDweller

All of these in a 2 gallon?

8. OP
    OP
    B

No. They are currently in a well-filtered 10 long with plenty of hiding spaces.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Not wanna be offensive but like to give one advice (that counts for all fish) :
    First read and then buy (if you can provide that what you've read).

10. BottomDweller

It would be best to rehome her IMO. At the minute you have an overstocked tank with stocking issues and she's not helping. You don't have space in the 10g for her and she'll be stressed alone. Just my advice.

11. OP
    OP
    B

I'm moving my fish into a 55 gallon within the month.

12. OP
    OP
    B

I didn't even know I had her until I went home to net the Neons and put them in the tank. At first I thought she was a killifish fry.

13. OP
    OP
    B

UPDATE: she is now in a 5 gallon with 3 baby Harlequin Rasboras and ample hiding places.