How to care for a beta fish?

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Hey Guys, This is a simple thread about how to care for a beta fish. Many fish keepers have owned a beta fish at one time in there lives, or cared for one. Yet, there are many problems or different ideas about caring for betas. That is why I'm here to provide you some basic information about beta care, with the ultimate goal of saving some beta's lives!

To start off, a beta needs a 5 gallon tank (16" by 6" by 8"), no smaller (though bigger if you want:)). That means no one gallon bowls no plastic bags no 1 quart containers. If you can not afford a 5 gallon tank (which you can get for only ~$50) than maybe fish keeping is not for you. I don't mean to be harsh, but if you can't afford to take care of a fish properly than don't hurt the fish.

For a set up you need
    beta fish food- $6 starters
    aquarium gravel- for a 5 gallon, only $4
    a live plant or plastic plant- only 1-2 medium needed, $8
    a net and siphon or gravel vacuum- small size, $10
    a pH test kit- API Freshwater Master Test Kit, $30

That's only $58 + the simple fish tank for everything you need. That's necessary for optimum care of a beta fish.

So, when you get your fish tank, take it home, and fill it up with water, following the instructions with the tank. You should start by buying tetra safestart, a bottle for a 5gallon should be less than $10. Put it in and immediately, put in your beta fish. It should now be ok. Make sure to take care of your fish and best of luck... I hope other members on this forum give you advice. This was short, but there is a lot more to that.

2. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Generally you need.......

-5 gallon tank
    -Filter
    -Heater

The tank needs to be cycled, I prefer my bettas alone as they are much more likely to do better alone. They can live in bigger tanks you just have to watch out for the tank being too tall as they aren't the best swimmers. I have a divided 10 gallon with two boys :)

4. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

The need to be kept in a tank with slow current.Mostly because of their fins are so heavy its hard for them to swim against the currents.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

If the tank doesn't come with a divider do you order yours seperately or do all your tanks come with a divider?

Actually, a way I came up with to do this if your filter has a pretty strong current. Lets say you have a 55 gallon tank with 10 dividers (11 betas), I don't think anyone has this but still... than you leave on area of the tank in the middle with no beta and put your filter there so the strong current doesn't effect other betas which can work well.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Have you kept bettas? I don't recall you mentioning it.
    Where did you get this info?

Nets can be dangerous to use with a bettas delicate fins.
    I prefer to use a breeder box if I need to move a betta.

Also silk plants would be better than plastic.
    The plastic can be rough and tear betta fins.

7. cameronpalte Member Member

Yes, though part of the info was from research

I don't own a breeder box, and I'm sure many other people don't own one either.

Interesting, silk is different.

8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

im sorry to say but a 5 gallon does not cost $58. I payed maybe 30 with all the stuff.

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Please site your sources from your research.

Many people may not own a breeder box. That doesn't make a net any less dangerous for a betta. Therefore even mentioning it in a guide without a word of caution is reckless, imo.

10. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

im sorry to say but a 5 gallon does not cost $58. I payed maybe 30 with all the stuff.

And most people that have been experinced enough owns a breeders box for many different reason there like 3 bucks.Cheaper than a net.

Not to be mean but why are you posting this when you haven't kept a betta and telling other people to keep their fish like this off of research that isnt 100% correct.

11. cameronpalte Member Member

You posted this above.. and when I looked at the fish store, the 5g was $50... maybe I will purchase a breeders box, and this wasn't all research, I have kept a beta.

12. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

If its not from research why did you say it was hmm?

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

14. camel89 Initiate Member

Betta, not beta.

15. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I was hoping someone would point this out... :) "Beta" is a Greek letter, "betta" is a fish; though I've seen so many people use the words interchangeably, I wonder if conventions have changed.

16. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I bought my divider seperately. Most pet stores sell them, I think it was like $10 or so I can't remember. Most 5 gallons run around $40 online and $50 in stores (that's the whole kit minus usually the heater and decos) So in the end if you buy new its about $50 weither you pay shipping for the one online or get it in stores. I'm sure there are exceptions like I don't know for instance how much walmart tanks cost.

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

WalMart 5 gallon kits are $25, 10 gallon kits $30.

:giggle:

18. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ahem, if you dont have a breeder box GET ONE. If you cant, use your hand. Its really not that hard or stressful to the fish. You can always use a plastic container. You need a heater and ideally a filter to cycle the tank. You didnt mention ANYTHING about actual care. In the case of what was described, that's an uncycled tank. No description of how to properly maintain said tank. Betta food...which brand? Im not trying to be rude or mean but these are very important things.
    http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=18075 This is a sheet by VD, a mod on UB (ok a Super mod :p) she herself is a very reliable source of info on the topic.

19. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

cameronpalte, I know your heart is in the right place and that you're trying to help. Unfortunately, and as you've seen from the responses here, your information was not exactly correct in some areas and lacking completely in others. People really depend on fish profiles when they are first starting out. It would be pretty sad if they weren't given enough accurate information to really do it right and ended up having a horrible experience.

I've been keeping fish for years now and I still don't feel qualified to write up a profile on any of them. Wisdom comes with age and loads of life experience.