How To Build A Sump For A 60 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Sump' started by 24Bryce, Oct 30, 2018.

1. 24BryceValued MemberMember

I am looking to build a saltwater sump for a 60 gallon tank, what would I need to build it? I have a 15 gallon long tank that im not using at the moment, would that work or would I need to get a bigger tank?
    What would I need to build the sump for the tank? I know this is short and kind of jumbles but anything will help. Thanks!

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Here's a pretty good article. There are links at the bottom that go into more detail.

3. bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

You want a Herbie overflow or BeanAnimal overflow. If these terms aren't familiar to you then time to research! This is a great introduce article:  

As far as sump, the bigger the better. You are going to put in a protein skimmer and possibly a refugium, so you need real estate space for that. Can you fit a 29 gallon under the stand? You can pick one up for cheap at Petco dollar a gallon sale.

4. 24BryceValued MemberMember

I think ill get a skimmer for the sump, I dont know about a Refugium, but I can probably fit a 29 under it

5. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Sorry, I didn't see this sooner, but I agree that with sump the bigger the better. Small sumps (under 20 gallons) just aren't worth it as it is a lot of effort and expense for minimal gains. You simply don't get the additional flow, have the room for good equipment or the space to work in and around it without being a constant pain. I have a 29 gallon sump on my 90 gallon and I personally would prefer if it were a 40 breeder as it would really open things up for me space-wise. I stick with it though because a 40 breeder would be too wide for my stand. The 29 gallon would be a great tank to fit in a more narrow stand, while still allowing decent options for equipment (ie skimmer, return pump). You can definitely do a refugium in a 29 gallon. I have chaeto (macro algae) growing in my middle partition next to my skimmer and it is doing great. Here it is in action: