How to bring fish to school with me

0morrokh

The problem is that I live far enough away from my college I have to fly back and forth.

It's enough of a pain making sure I have the stuff I need (clothes etc.) at the right location, but I'm going to go into withdrawal if I have to spend another year without any fish.

I figure I could do a small, minimalistic setup. Bare bottom, maybe unheated. I should be able to pack most of the supplies I need. I would have to buy a small tank out there. I do have plastic storage tubs that I could put fish/plants in temporarily.

The problem is getting the fish back and forth. I come home for like a month for winter break and for the summer, so any livestock would have to be moved there and back twice a year. I haven't met anyone who lives there and keeps fish, so leaving them is not an option.

What do you guys think? Is this feasible? I could ship the fish back and forth, but that would be expensive and stressful... Has anyone ever flown with fish? That would be quicker than shipping, but I'd have to get it/them thru security first and there's that stupid liquid restriction... I have contemplated getting something like mystery snails which would maybe be easier to transport. Any ideas?

Ked31

I definitely wouldn't try to fly with them. They would probably confiscate your fish. The rules are in place for a reason. Try looking on the TSA website for specific info about transporting fish, but know that if the threat level is raised, you may get stuck not being able to transport fish at all, if you can even transport them right now.

Also, if you are living in a dorm, you may not be allowed to keep fish. Check with your school. If you are in an apartment, check with the building manager. Some apartment complexes won't let you keep fish.

And I'm assuming you are in the US. If your not, then everything I said probably doesn't apply to you.

LyndaB

Given your situation, if it was me, I would buy a beautiful glass fish and stick it in a beautiful glass bowl. I can't see going through all that you would have to in order to keep fish. It seems that the probability that you'd have to break some rules somewhere is a given.

As mentioned above, knowing what country you're in could make a world of difference. There was a recent article in one of my aquarium magazines about transporting fish as carry-on. From what I gather, there are some airlines that have no problem with it providing it's not a wild caught fish and you contact them ahead of time. This guy packaged the fish as if he were driving it home from the lfs and brought it on the plane with him. Actually, he had multiple fish he'd won at auction, rare species.

Know the rules where you'll be living. Ask the airlines. Do your research first. Then, if it is allowed by all entities, it should be a no hassle event.

Cognity7

I had a betta when I was in college.. it was a hassle to find people to feed it when I went on breaks.

College is supposed to be responsibility free (except for studies of course!). I urge you to enjoy this 'free spirit' time in your life without having a pet to take care of.

I ended up going with a friend to tennessee (at the drop of a hat) for fall break and came back to a dead betta

I felt so bad. I didn't have any more pets until I graduated. It's a time in your life where you are figuring out who YOU are.. you don't need anything else to take care of except yourself.

I like the glass fish or other fish decorations idea

0morrokh

Also, if you are living in a dorm, you may not be allowed to keep fish.

I am allowed to keep fish.

As mentioned above, knowing what country you're in could make a world of difference. There was a recent article in one of my aquarium magazines about transporting fish as carry-on.

I'm in the US, sorry. Do you know if I could access this article somewhere? I thought I'd heard of people flying with fish before, which is why I asked about it.

College is supposed to be responsibility free (except for studies of course!). I urge you to enjoy this 'free spirit' time in your life without having a pet to take care of.

I don't really like studying so taking care of pets is a sort of break/stress relief for me. Also I get really bored when I don't have something like water changes to do occasionally, cause I can't handle hanging out with people 24/7 (I'm super introverted, what can I say....). But I do appreciate what you're saying, and I won't try keeping fish if it's going to be more stressful than enjoyable.

Cognity7

ok.. but don't be too introverted! You are supposed to MEET people in college!!

You can have a fish as long as you promise me you will invite people over to see your fish!!!

0morrokh

ok.. but don't be too introverted! You are supposed to MEET people in college!!

Meet people?!?!?!

You can have a fish as long as you promise me you will invite people over to see your fish!!!
Hehe of course ;D

justatank

are you able to oxygenitate th efish for transport?

It should be possible to oxygenite the fish the same way fish are sold on line.

is possible to find a local fish store, that can take care of your fish, or find a fishlore member in your area?

add your town and perhaps a solution can be found. I am sure there are fishkeepers closer then you think.

Hey maybe you can make a few new friends in town or on campus

Ked31

My only concern travelling with fish would be TSA regulations on liquids. They put that in place to help prevent any type of attack. Call ahead of time to make sure they will let you through. They might not. If they do, they will probably closely examine everything, so be prepared to re-tape the lid on the box.

It would probably be better to teach a friend or family member how to package them for shipping, then have them overnight shipped to you once you get settled.

LyndaB

Which airlines are you using?

Check out this link:

Each airline has its own rules for flying with pets. Additional rules apply by state so be sure the state you’re flying to allows these fish. American Airlines, United, Continental and Jet Blue (among others) all have pet policies but not all mention fish in their policy. Southwest does not allow any pets. The rules for each airline are extremely stringent and vary by carrier. US Airways has a reputation for being one of the most pet-friendly airlines and they DO mention fish on their website. However, they do not mention how the new stringent requirements on liquids and gels are considered in this matter. I would assume your fish needs to be in a water tight container under 4 oz with the volume clearly marked by the manufacturer, however all pets need to be coordinated by telephone at the time you book your ticket. This means Expedia and Travelocity are out when booking your flight. Make sure you are aware of any and all rules at the time of booking. There is a maximum number of pets allowed per flight so book early to make sure you don’t get rejected.

ZeeZ

In the comments section, it says the pet fee has gone up to $100. Is it truly worth $100 to take your fish with you on the plane? Since you're insistent on having fish, you'd save more money shipping fish than flying fish with you.

0morrokh

Lynda thanks for the link.
Ugh a $100 pet fee is crazy. Forget that...

I think I'll just have to stick with plants for now. Oh well, it's just a few more years, I guess I'll survive...

Ked31

Lynda- Southwest now allows pets

It's not like plants are bad! They just aren't as interesting as fish. Maybe get one of those toy fish things that swim around in a pool if you want some entertainment from a "fish"

Cognity7

Think of this- if you find some friends in college, then you could always buy a betta THERE and maybe one of your new friends lives close by and could feed your fish when your gone?

Making friends is GOOD!

0morrokh

Think of this- if you find some friends in college, then you could always buy a betta THERE and maybe one of your new friends lives close by and could feed your fish when your gone?

Making friends is GOOD!

I thought about that, but I don't think I want to leave a betta with someone else for the entire summer. I haven't met anyone else at my school who keeps fish (it's a small school, so I'm not too hopeful).

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies
Views
FishFiendSP
Replies