How To Bring Down Water Temperature From 30c To 28c Using A Aquarium Heater

Yasar

HI guys

I have a 25 gallon tank and a 50W heater.
Currently the water temperature is 30c.
Heaters led lighting up only if I set the heater nob above 30c but not below 30c,
But in the heater box it's printed 20c to 32c ?
IMG_20190621_181107.jpg

richiep

Fishlore VIP
HI welcome to fishlore
That's the water temp is holding it at 30c set the thermometer at 28 and once the water temp goes below the 28 the thermometer will light up, to test the thermometer turn it off fill a container with cold water set the thermometer to 25ish and put in cold water leave for two minutes then turn on if it working properly the light will come on,
A little tip raise your filter off the bottom or put s sponge on it otherwise gravel will be sucked up and damage your impeller

OP
Y

Yasar

richie.p said:
HI welcome to fishlore
That's the water temp is holding it at 30c set the thermometer at 28 and once the water temp goes below the 28 the thermometer will light up, to test the thermometer turn it off fill a container with cold water set the thermometer to 25ish and put in cold water leave for two minutes then turn on if it working properly the light will come on,
A little tip raise your filter off the bottom or put s sponge on it otherwise gravel will be sucked up and damage your impeller[/QUOT
richie.p said:
HI welcome to fishlore
A little tip raise your filter off the bottom or put s sponge on it otherwise gravel will be sucked up and damage your impeller
richie.p said:
HI welcome to fishlore
HI Richie,

Thanks for the tip. I'll raise the filter.
How to lower the temp from 30c to 28c ?
If I set the heater at 28c. Will the heater bring down the water temperature within a day or two ?

Cichlidude

Well Known
Yasar said:
HI Richie,

Thanks for the tip. I'll raise the filter.
How to lower the temp from 30c to 28c ?
If I set the heater at 28c. Will the heater bring down the water temperature within a day or two ?
What is your ambient temperature in the room?

OP
Y

Yasar

Cichlidude said:
Sorry, your tank will float to the ambient temperature of what the room is at.
Is there any way to bring down the temperature. I have water movement and o o tried floating ice packs.

I thought the heater will solve this problem .

richiep

Fishlore VIP
That's correct even if you start with cold water over time it will rise to your room temp nothing you can do except put a cooler in and they are expensive

Cichlidude

Well Known
Yasar said:
Is there any way to bring down the temperature. I have water movement and o o tried floating ice packs.

I thought the heater will solve this problem .
Suggest you try some Aquarium cooling fans.

imba

Well Known
Your heater can only help increase the tank temperature, but can't help decrease it.

Just to also let you know, if/when your ambient temperature starts getting lower and you want to keep your tank at 28 degrees, a 50w heater will not likely be enough for a 25g tank.

Elkwatcher

Well Known
Can a member answer if the OP's heater is actually a "submersible" and not an immersible, especially when it has a water level line. I'm curious!
richie.p Cichlidude

Cichlidude

Well Known
Elkwatcher said:
Can a member answer if the OP's heater is actually a "submersible" and not an immersible, especially when it has a water level line. I'm curious!
Oh wow! Good catch! Didn't even see that! Yasar you need to check that heater as it has a water level line and maybe should not be fully immersed as Elkwatcher says.

Cichlidude

Well Known
richie.p said:
I think you'll find that line is the minimum level or should not drop below the line, it's got to be fully submersible it would be to dangerous to leave the top not water proof
True but I just checked my EheI'm and is says.... minimum water level. But on the OP picture you may not see the word 'minimum'. And turning the EheI'm you won't see the minimum also. Which is what I have, a non submersible heater.

Edit - Well wait a minute. Maybe it is fully submersible after checking. It's just that it is not fully submersed. My bad. richie.p I think you are correct.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Cichlidude said:
True but I just checked my EheI'm and is says.... minimum water level. But on the OP picture you may not see the word 'minimum'. And turning the EheI'm you won't see the minimum also. Which is what I have, a non submersible heater.
All EheI'm heaters are fully submersible the minimum line is the line where water must not drop below in other words the heater must not dry up below that line

Cichlidude

Well Known
richie.p said:
All EheI'm heaters are fully submersible the minimum line is the line where water must not drop below in other words the heater must not dry up below that line
Yeah, I edited my post. You are correct.

Elkwatcher

Well Known
Thanks richie.p p and Cichlidude for clarifying that as I have never submersed the tops of mine that aren't marked submersible for some reason. Most are Eheim's and one I recently bought is marked submersible right on it.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Elkwatcher said:
Thanks richie.p p and Cichlidude for clarifying that as I have never submersed the tops of mine that aren't marked submersible for some reason. Most are Eheim's and one I recently bought is marked submersible right on it.
Well.... it could have said "Maximum" in which case you would be right.

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Hopefully you don't have any jumpers and can remove the aq top. As mentioned, a small fan positioned to where it blows across the top of the water is the easiest and most efficient way to keep it cool in a warm room. Floating frozen bottled water I found would at most bring it down maybe 1 degree, and was a pain.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
These are the fans I use in 2,3,4,&6 bringing temperature down from start at 26c and cuts out at 22.5 then stops it going above 24c but expect high water loss so in hot weather daily top offs are a must

Attachments

Elkwatcher

Well Known
Cichlidude said:
Post your pic...
All the heaters I've had previous to the new submersible are (non submersible, do not immerse beyond MAX water line ) My eye caught the water line and brain went into save the OP! Duh moment!
IMG_1405 2.jpg

richiep

Fishlore VIP
What is that 120v can you show the whole thing? Whats the make and where did it come from

Elkwatcher

Well Known
richie.p said:
What is that 120v can you show the whole thing? Whats the make and where did it come from
Ebo-Jager....another version made by EheI'm Germany
120V 60HZ 200watt Celcius Dial
Model TS 200

richiep

Fishlore VIP
I'd like to read all on that label as the ebo jager are advertised as fully submersible

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Elkwatcher as PM me the the details on her heater and it is in fact only submersible to the line but the new range are full submersible and that one is 5 years old something I've never seen as we are 240v in the uk and it may be discontinued now
My apologies for doubting you

Elkwatcher

Well Known
richie.p said:
I'd like to read all on that label as the ebo jager are advertised as fully submersible
richie.p said:
Elkwatcher as PM me the the details on her heater and it is in fact only submersible to the line but the new range are full submersible and that one is 5 years old something I've never seen as we are 240v in the uk and it may be discontinued now
No problem richie.p ! To the OP I'm sorry I sort of hijacked your thread, my apologies. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

GlennO

Well Known
imba said:
Just to also let you know, if/when your ambient temperature starts getting lower and you want to keep your tank at 28 degrees, a 50w heater will not likely be enough for a 25g tank.
50w was not even enough for my 7g. Mid winter here and I had to get an extra heater today.

Btw I agree with the cooling fan suggestion. I use them in summer and find that even a small one is effective in reducing the temperature by about 2deg.C. Some RO or distilled water is handy to have on hand because they do dramatically increase evaporation.

RSababady

Well Known
Yasar said:
Heaters led lighting up only if I set the heater nob above 30c but not below 30c,
The knob is used to set the desired temperature. So if the water temperature is 30 and you turn the knob above 30, then the light will come on showing that the heater is on. So your heater is working ok. however, the role of t a heater is to raise the temperature above the room temperature. It will not lower the temperature.

Yasar said:
But in the heater box it's printed 20c to 32c ?
The way to understand these parameters, is that the heater will bring the water temperature up to anything between 20 and 32, depending on the setting you select using the knob of the thermostat on the heater. HOWEVER, the heater cannot bring the temperature of the water down, lower than the room temperature.

If you want you want to bring the water temperature down, below the room temperature, you can do this in three ways:
  1. temporarily by adding ice cubes in a plastic bag into the tank. This works for a very short time is a temporary fix.
  2. adding fans that blow across the water surface - this work just like a fan in the house - it blows over the surface and takes away some heat. Fans will drop the water temperature by 3-4 degrees centigrade.
  3. adding a water cooler - this works like air conditioning is a more complicate solution that you can buy and install. However this is an expensive solution.

JayH

Well Known
richie.p said:
Non-submersible heaters were very common back when I was keeping discus. I never had a submersible back then. Wasn't sure I trusted them. The relatively newer non-submersible Jager heater is a bit surprising because back in the day they were about the only submersible heater on the market. Odd to see their name on a non-submersible much more modern one. Not doubting it, just saying it's an odd marketing choice given their history.

As to the OP's problem with water too warm, evaporative cooling is probably the easiest approach. This is the idea behind blowing air across the top of the water. For liquid water to turn to vapor requires a lot of heat. As the water evaporates it pulls that heat from its surroundings. The result is a cooling of those surroundings, including the rest of the liquid water. Unfortunately, this makes the room more humid, and if the room is humid already that will slow the evaporation you need to bring down the tank temperature.

New Threads