How To Breed.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to breed my bettas down the line, but I'm terrified It won't work out. I've tried to do a little research, some people said it was simple, some said it wasn't. I don't want either of them to get hurt. Mine are both crowntail and from my lfs...i don't know anything about them another than what they are and their sex. Is it okay to breed them? Or should I just not as it could be too risky? If it's good to go, what would I need?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A bigger tank, at least a 5 gallon one, a heater so you can raise the temp. to increase chances and conditions to stimulating breeding. Usually you'll only need 2 tanks, so you can separate them afterwards if need be. Some live or floating plants for security and cover etc. Read up on it some more if you wish to, there's a LOT of info about bettas and betta breeding! TONS. : )

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You need a 10 gallon bare bottom with hiding spots from the female (or male). It's not uncommon for them to be seriously injured or killed during spawning. You have to have decent housing and equipment for up to about 400 fry. Each needs to be separated after a little while with a heater at least, not to mention daily water changes. The optimal breeding age is between 6-8 months. You have to feed the fry infusoria or other micro foods a few times a day from the first day they're free swimming. Personally I wouldn't. It takes time, money, and homes lined up for hundreds of fry.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
You need a 10 gallon bare bottom with hiding spots from the female (or male). It's not uncommon for them to be seriously injured or killed during spawning. You have to have decent housing and equipment for up to about 400 fry. Each needs to be separated after a little while with a heater at least, not to mention daily water changes. The optimal breeding age is between 6-8 months. You have to feed the fry infusoria or other micro foods a few times a day from the first day they're free swimming. Personally I wouldn't. It takes time, money, and homes lined up for hundreds of fry.
i probably shouldn't then. sounds safer and easier to breed fancy guppies. I don't want my bettas getting hurt. I would have a place for some of them to go. I have time, not much money. If it's better i not, then i wont.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom