How To Breed Zebra Danios?

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
3 years
I’ve never done it but I’ve watched videos where they will lower the tank water and add marbles so the eggs drop between them and the zebras can’t get them cause as you know they are little missles so if the eggs are floating to the bottom they are as good as gone before they make it. I’m sure there are other methods but that’s what I seen. Good luck

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Never did it on purpose. I moved my school to a larger tank and left the old tank with several inches of water but no gravel, filter, or heater for a few weeks cuz I was lazy. Then when I finally got around to cleaning out the tank, I looked in and saw tiny swimming things the size of an eyelash or so! At first I thought they were bugs, but then realized they were baby fish. So I got fry food ASAP and fed them and they grew up just fine with just mulm, little snails, and an airline with a Nerf "bullet" in place of an airstone and they lived quite fine. Their parents got eaten in the larger tank, though.
So, I tell this story to prove that laziness isn't all bad!

JayH

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did it many years ago. I had a pair that kept spawning in the community tank and everyone had a feast on the eggs. I had a spare 5 gallon tank that was already running so I put a mesh screen in the bottom and put the breeding pair in there. The eggs fell through the screen into the gravel. The parents couldn't get to the eggs due to the screen. When they were done spawning I put the pair back in the community tank. Several days later I had more fry than I could count. I fed the fry newly hatched brine shrimp.

New Threads