How To Breed Tiger Barbs Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by TheYesMan, Apr 14, 2018.

1. TheYesMan

TheYesMan Valued Member Member

So I got about 5 tiger barbs in a 26 gallon and I wanted a few more without having to buy additional ones from my local store, I have a separate tank 7 gallon tank that I'd thought could work as an isolation method for a 1 female and 1 male to be able to breed and spawn.
    one problem though, I'm not sure whether I have only female or male. I have 3 barbs which are significantly bigger than the other 2, but I can't differ them out by ''Red on the nose and top fin'' part.
    Here's a link to 2 pictures of the Barbs, and yes I do know they picture is a little...weird.

Yeet

Am I missing something?

There's a fast way to get to it for those who are interested in shortcuts and might not know,
    1. highlight the link
    2. CTRL + C, (if you are on the browser)
    3. press CTRL + T
    4. Then CTRL + V to put the link in and hit enter.
    This will copy the link, open a new tab, insert the link
    ;)

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

you don't breed tiger barbs by separating a male and female into another tank. you want more females than males when doing so. you want to either grow a carpet of plants or put in a spawning mop for the eggs to be caught on. the fish will spawn over these.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Tiger Barbs are best spawned in pairs, extra females just eat the eggs as they're being laid. Females will be significantly fatter/rounder than males. But if your males aren't showing good red noses, they may not be ready. You should also see them already chasing females in the community tank.

Move a pair to the breeding tank in the evening, and spawning should commence the next morning. Helps if the tank is near an east facing window, to get the sun. Cover the bottom with mops or plastic spawning grass. Java Moss will work if you prefer to use live plants. Remove the pair when they stop chasing, or the female looks much thinner. Eggs will hatch in 24-36 hours, fry take another day or two to get up and start swimming. Feed at this time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice