How to breed pygmy corys

quirkylemon103

Reaction score
i have six in my community tank and i want to breed them
so if you have any tips about conditioning them
then getting them to spawn and raising the fry.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lots of java moss. I like my cory breeding tanks to be at least half full.
Mops are also great. Not just for young but for cories of all sizes. Adult cories will nibble biofilm on a well established mop. Last time I pulled a mop it had at least 40 cories in it. My fingers got many holes in them that day (not one bit of poisoning though).

Kitley

Reaction score
CHJ said:
Lots of java moss. I like my cory breeding tanks to be at least half full.
Mops are also great. Not just for young but for cories of all sizes. Adult cories will nibble biofilm on a well established mop. Last time I pulled a mop it had at least 40 cories in it. My fingers got many holes in them that day (not one bit of poisoning though).
what kind of mop?

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kitley said:
what kind of mop?
I make mine out of acrylic yarn. DO NOT USE A NATURAL YARN THAT WILL ROT!
Originally I made them out of a kind of forest green color. I began to wonder if they fish cared about color and made a more colorful one no one but snails likes so back to forest green (well OK some plecos like it for shade.).
This shows a green one and the one no one liked.
mops.jpg

quirkylemon103 said:
thanks do you know how to speed up java moss growth mine grows slow
Nitrates and light. Moss needs food and light to grow. It will not ever grow like wisteria but you can fill a tank in a year with a reasonable sized(fist full) starting ball. After that it is out of control and you will need a place to put the extra.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope mine just spawned the other day in a 10 after being moved from a 20L "community"

I'm rescaping so all they have is a pathetic piece of bolbitis, spiderwood and some rocks anchoring the wood. It was kind of sad to see them making the bit of plant work. I wasn't trying to breed them, it just happened.

Blood worms and a water change are helpful as are floating plants. Dim the lighting if its full on. They might enjoy rooibos tea infusion to stain the water.

Mine have also been together for 2 years so that might be a factor.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Edit: but do heed the words of dedicated breeders above. I just wanted to share a not planned version of events.

New Threads