How to Breed my Firemouth?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have a female FM in a 40 gallon tank by itself. Most sites and threads say that I should buy 6 and get a pair from that bunch.. But I was wondering.. Can I add a male FM into the tank and hope that they pair up? Or is that just too dangerous for the new male FM?

Help would be much appreciated.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Firemouths, Thorichthys Meeki, are a fun and easy fish to spawn.

Here are my thoughts on them. One mistake most people make with any species of Thorichthys is they only keep one pair at a time in a tank. While this is fine and there are no problems doing it this way, you miss their behavoir. These fish are easy to find and most people either try to pick out a male and female or get a small group find a pair from this group and then return the other extras. Like I said the mistake is you miss out. With a group of Thorichthys, it doesn't matter which they all do it, one thing people like about Meeki is they are always flaring their gills. If you have the room I would suggest getting a group. You still have the gill flaring but they will do it together as a pair and also 4 fish will often come together and all meet in the middle flaring their gills.

An awesome starter Central American cichlid for anyone and also a fun one for those who have been doing it for awhile and never tried them because they are so common. Good for starters because they are not your typical Central. They stay small, they aren't that rough, not your typical small brown Central, and they spawn small. I did them years ago and recently got another group of decent looking ones. One pair has wigglers now and it looks like another pair is getting ready. One nice thing is the spawn small, the group I have are all around 2.75" and like I said they have begun to spawn.

You can do a pair but if possible try a small group, you will be happy you did.

Here is a thread from another forum that shows what I am talking about by having a group. The fish in the thread are Thorichthys Pasionis, but like I mentioned all Thorichthys act this way. The pics show 4 fish coming together, but notice even the 5th fish coming from the top trying to get in on the action.

Brian

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
btate617 said:
These fish are easy to find and most people either try to pick out a male and female or get a small group find a pair from this group and then return the other extras.
So does that mean I add a male later? T__T

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
So does that mean I add a male later? T__T

My suggestion would be a group of 6. If you already have a female and add a male, or the other way around you have a male and try to add a female, the problem is whichever fish you already have is established in this tank and therefor will be dominant once a new fish is added. Changing the decor and all that will help but you still have a dominant fish to start with. You can force pairs to form by adding one male and one female, but it is easier letting them pick out a mate from a small group. And like mentioned above doing just 2 fish with this group of fish you will miss out on their interactions. You can do it by just adding a male if you have a female already, but be prepared for her to bully the new fish a bit, or the new fish may bully the old one. It is easier IMO to add either a male or a female to a group of African cichlids than it is to add to C/A and S/A. I am not saying it can't be done not at all, I have lost one part of a pair of fish many many times and had to reintroduce a new piece to the pair. But it doesn't always work on the first go with C/A, S/A is what I am saying.

Brian

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I added a male today but hes smaller than the female. The female is chasing him and bumping him but i dont see any biting. Will this aggression stop? :[

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It just depends, if I came into your home and started trying to run the show you would probably be unhappy and puff your chest up a bit. Thats all she is doing.

Most of the time it goes away shortly, be remember there is always the chance of aggression with cichlids. If she is set in her ways, I could go off in another direction here but won't, she could kill him. He may "man up" and kill her, anytime you intoduce a new cichlid there are no guarantees. The could be fine in an hour or two and have no further problems also. I have paid a few hundred dollars for a male cichlid to add to a female in hopes of spawning them and after taking all the precautions I could think of she kills him the first night. And I have had new males do the same so....

Brian

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok thanks! Her aggression died down a little but the male being new to his environment still flees from any fish that comes close to him and is now floating in the top region of the tank..

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads