How to boil driftwood that is too big for a pot?

Arrow1oo

So I'm planning on adding a nice piece of driftwood to the tank. It's quite large though, about 35" across.

It has been sandblasted and I was instructed by a local buyer that I can just put it in the tank.

He told me it will float (I'll weigh it down), the usual white fungus will grow on it and tannins will occur (I do have some carbon in the filter to get rid of most of it and wI monitor pH drops)

My question is because of its size I can't really boil it in a pot, should I soak it with tap water in a garbage can to try to eliminate some tannins or would the tap water soak be a bad idea

StarGirl

If you soak it, it will release some tanins and sink eventually. I would scrub it really good before adding it to the tank.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

If you soak it, it will release some tanins and sink eventually. I would scrub it really good before adding it to the tank.
Okay, I'll show it tomorrow

Upvote 0

pattersonbear

You can put in a garbage can and pour pots of boiling water over it if you want to boil it before adding it to the tank.

Upvote 0

DuaneV

I have MopanI that's still releasing tannins after 8 years of being underwater with weekly water changes. Depending on the wood, you might be looking at tannins forever. Personally, I love them. I only have blackwater tanks now, and tannins are very beneficial to the overall health of your fish, so you might want to consider NOT removing them.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

I don't mind then honestly, if that's the case I might just plop it in there and weigh it down. Let tannins run its course. I need the pH a little lower anyway

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

So I just added a dragon stone and made a cave out of it plus some Driftwood to the tank.

I like the way it looks, the main purpose for the cave was so my rainbow shark (he usually resides in a fake ship I have) can use it to hide, especially when he gets bigger.

However, as of right now he prefers the ship, not sure if it's because unfamiliarity to the new tank or should I try to block the ship so he is incentivized into going to the cave I have.

You must be registered to see images

Trying to get rid of all the fake plants and plant real ones soon, mostly jungle val through the back ground and some anubias/java Fern for midground. Any suggestions are welcome to make it look better !! Thanks

Upvote 0

TWiG87

Looks good and it’ll look better once you make the swap to live plants. Your rainbow shark will come around. Most fish are skeptical when their home gets rearranged.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

Looks good and it’ll look better once you make the swap to live plants. Your rainbow shark will come around. Most fish are skeptical when their home gets rearranged.
Sounds good, wish I could take the ship out and put another cave. Was thinking to put a Bolivian ram pair in there but not sure if the rainbow shark will fight with them. They are on opposite sides of the tank so

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

Looks nice. With live plants will look much more natural. ( no disrespect intended ). Also I would leave the ship if that is his go-to comfort zone.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Just take your time. I would wait on new fish until you are done with your hard scaping and plants. Let everyone adjust before adding new stress.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

Just take your time. I would wait on new fish until you are done with your hard scaping and plants. Let everyone adjust before adding new stress.
Yea definitely waiting, don't want to put new fish through more rescaling.

Looks nice. With live plants will look much more natural. ( no disrespect intended ). Also I would leave the ship if that is his go-to comfort zone.
Oh please, I hate these fake plants. Family got trigger happy when we first got it, no their fault we just were noobs to the hobby. I'm not learning lol

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

How do I clean and get to sink big pieces of driftwood?

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

Yeah, i would think a storage tote would work!

Upvote 0

Basil

I put mine in my bathtub hilarious
We do have a separate shower so don’t use the tub much anyway!

Upvote 0

Skrabbitskrabbit

Is it too big for a pot? You can try pouring hot water on top. I left a piece outside in a metal tub with an old steel pan on top to weigh it down. It’s still floating after a month or so. I haven’t boiled it yet because I am just experimenting but I’d imagine that would help..?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I just rinse mine with a hose and then put it in the tank. I let it float until it sinks on its own. It takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on wood species.

Upvote 0

Mhamilton0911

I just rinse mine with a hose and then put it in the tank. I let it float until it sinks on its own. It takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on wood species.

I did this with my manzanita wood, only took about 4 days in the tank.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I did this with my manzanita wood, only took about 4 days in the tank.

I'm not familiar with it, but I assume it's pretty dense. I've used bois d'arc, which is very hard, and from bone dry it only takes about 2 days to sink.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

My Manzanita always sinks right away. The Cholla that was a different story. That took about 2 weeks and it was a very small piece.

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

Okay. So just put it in water until it sinks? Hot or cold

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Hot would be best. It will disinfect it some too.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ryl33a
Replies
Views
Smack442
Replies
Views
jonatheber