Question How To Beat Algae?

noobscaper

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My 5 gallon, inhabited by a single betta and a bunch of pond snails, has been overgrown by BBA and string algae. Every week, I remove tons, but some of it somehow stays and covers the whole rockwork. The tank is lit only 6.5 hours every day, but all of my newly added cuttings (bulletproof like anacharis and cabomba) are completely covered and die. By the way, I also fertilise the tank with micros every week during water changes. Also, how do you remove algae from rocks?

ShamFish97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Remove everything removable covered in algae, give it a good rinse and then I would change a good amount of the water so the algae doesn't have much time to settle anywhere..this is what I would do.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Remove all the hardscape. Put it in a bucket of hot hot hot water then pour some peroxide in there and let it sit overnight. As far as the plants they may be sensitive to H2O2 but you could dilute some in a spray bottle and do a WC and spray the plants a little bit and let it sit with your filter off then when you refill you will see a ton of tiny bubbles taking care of the algae. ( similar to when you pour it on a cut on your body). Good luck. Also knock your lights down to 3-4 hours or even do a 2-3 dqay blackout to kill some of it off.... It is definitel a stubborn algae to deal with. Good luck

New Threads