How to Awesome-ize Your HOB Power Filter with Just a Plastic Cup

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by leeishom, Mar 28, 2010.

1. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

----i do not take any credit nor accomplishments from this TuT. all credits and recognition goes to the original poster of this TuT.
    im just sharing.

this tut does make sense on why filtered water shouldnt be anyway near intake water.

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

ahhhh... the great site of instructables.... you can also use the cup (or w/e u decide to use) to hold extra filter media!

3. OP
    OP
    l

im not a fluid engineer nor a fluid dynamicist, but crashing water to a body of water isnt better than a stream of free flowing water.

4. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

Doesn't quite make sense...

5. OP
    OP
    l

maybe google it?

6. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

which part? fluid dynamics or the whole thing :p... fluid dynamics is awesome though!

7. OP
    OP
    l

im still waiting on why my post does not make sense.

8. i

I'm an Aerospace Engineer and I'm in fluid dynamics at UT... I can tell you that this concept does improve how the water flows. At least it does help stop water running circles through the filter...

What I meant by what doesn't make sense is that it seems like your not reffering to anything... "crashing water into a body of water [is not] better than a stream of free flowing water"... Not to be rude but it seems like your statement is irrelevant to this post... I think you need to elaborate...

9. i

Also, this may just be the way I'm interpreting your quote but this seems sassy... This is supposed to be a nice community of fish hobbyists who are looking to help people out... not bash ideas or provide unnecessary sass... And If you didn't mean it to be sassy then disregard...

Goodday

10. OP
    OP
    l

the only detailed explanation ive found usual was, my choice of - isnt and your choice of - is not.
    but since we are on the topic of career and topic major of school.

im a certified internet engineer of cisco systems, maintaining, designing, configuring routers and switches for all types of networks, LAN/WAN.
    also, almost 10 years of thorough experience in designing, building commercial kitchens for restaurants and hotels. plus, returned from China after 6 years of quality assurance and product design for heavy duty commercial kitchen products.

who really cares, right? please, enlighten whoever is interested in this topic of how fluid dynamics could be applied to my posts.

11. i

I just realized your the op... so i think were arguing the same thing here...?... lol

12. OP
    OP
    l

since you are a dynamicist, does this Instructables tut does more good than bad, in regards of clean water returning?

13. i

It does more good. The stream gets redirected to a different part of the tank where its weight pushes water down on the other side of the tank and with nowhere else to go it goes to the other end of the tank (back to the intake)

If that didn't make sense it makes a big circle around the entire tank with the cup, and without it, it makes a small 'mini' circle right in front of the filter.

It actually helps clean the water quite a bit more efficiently...
    It also helps get rid of dead spots...

14. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138 Valued Member Member

I find that it is easier to extend the intake tube. Also, the newer HOB's have an extended lip on the return to ensure better water flow. I really don't see the point of the diverter. On a 12" tank (front to back) the output hits the front glass and is diverted. I use HOB's on each end of my 55 G tanks, that makes for some interesting currents in the tank.

15. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

i have three extension tubes on my ac 50 and it extends the intake all the way to the bottom of the tank.Take a standard ac intake and cut the bottom part with the holes off and just stick them together.This plus an air stone is more circulation than you will ever need.

16. OP
    OP
    l

thank you for the input.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice