How to aquascape apistogramma rock caves?

RandomFishBoi

I want make low hanging caves out of rocks that aren't very tall for the apistos I plan on getting, but I just can't seem to get it right. I plan on having driftwood branches and plants in the tank, and I don't want the rocks messing that up. How can I aquascape them so they will stay only slightly visible in the backgorund of the tank but also have enough room for my apistos to live and breed in them?

Rcslade124

Go out and find a bunch of rocks. Stack them in the back in a cave form. Terracotta pot is Also an easy way to get a cave

AcornTheBetta

RandomFishBoi said:
I want make low hanging caves out of rocks that aren't very tall for the apistos I plan on getting, but I just can't seem to get it right. I plan on having driftwood branches and plants in the tank, and I don't want the rocks messing that up. How can I aquascape them so they will stay only slightly visible in the backgorund of the tank but also have enough room for my apistos to live and breed in them?
You could try making DIY caves out of coconut husks... You could also make some sort of make shift cave with slate rock.

BigBeardDaHuZi

They sell "cichlid caves" at a lot of fish stores. I was thinking about getting a couple and then scaping over them. Like a hobbit hole. Build up the substrate so it goes over the caves. Maybe glue in some kind of moss over the whole to hold the soil back. It should add some cool layers to the tank too.

But this is just an idea. I haven't tried it yet

MacZ

With all these ideas, I almost bet in the end the fish will either not breed or use a different cave than the one prepared for them.

It may look rather unappealing, but I'd use coconut shells or caves made from clay, as those can be moved around in case the original spot doesn't appeal to the fish or more/less are needed.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom