How To Anchor/baby Proof An Aquarium?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I live in Minnesota so I don’t have to worry about earthquakes, but yes I believe it would be earthquake proof! A side benefit of using cabinets/countertop is that I have 4 drawers, and 4 cabinet doors. I have enough storage for all of my cleaning supplies, food, chemicals (ferts, dechlorinator, API kit, etc.), and I have enough room to run my sump underneath. The stand takes up a bunch of space but it could work for a tank as big as a 220 probably!
Downside to using countertop: where are you going to roll out the pasta???:nailbiting:

CindyVBPets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Teen brother? I wouldn't even have the tank accessible, TBH.

IME, these boys and their friends will do the most maddening things. It's okay if your brother throws the electrical equipment into the tank, tortures the fish, dumps soda in there.... and other dumb stuff....but his dopey friends?

As a mom, I can say this with 100% confidence

Obviously he's not trustworthy in this regard or you wouldn't be asking LOL.

If you have to have it in an unsupervised area, I'd build a shelving unit AROUND the tank like a cage/false front so that nobody can get to it. I'd use an external canister filter locked in a cabinet with the other supplies like chemicals, food, etc. The heater gets trickier. Maybe chose fish that don't require a heater. Not to mention the lighting! At least put a full hood on it but that's no guarantee of anything.

Of course then they'll mess with the hoses from the tank to the cabinet but....

Are there parents involved here or is it your house? We're talking about water and electricity here. At least make sure you have the proper safe electrical set-up.

Aquarium Safety

Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen, to be honest.

I would say building a cage around it is the best solution if possible, and keep everything away from teenager hands. You could make it look like shelving but actually a cage (in my mind LOL)

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to admit I laughed out loud when I saw this. Do you have children?
I did have children and do have grand children. But in my house roughhousing is done outside, by all species. If they don't want to brace the cold or suffer the heat they play chess, or cards, or other table games or the piano, guitar, violin or read or do homework or chat or listen to music or cook or clean.... of course the cold is rarely under 40F and there's always the pool and the horses & dogs and in summer-indoor roughhouse never is a problem here. The "cook and clean" part tends to encourage outdoor activities so I use that a LOT lol! PS- my son can whip up the BEST (his own recipe) Bison Mole' Chili (BMC) you ever tasted and his halibut ceviche is to DIE for! He got lots of practice in the kitchen as a 'teen'-haha!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This has turned into a pretty funny thread. As far as I'm concerned, Teenagers (especially males) are one of the most dangerous and destructive species there is! Anyone who plans on having one needs to have a large bare room, no substrate and lots of good ventilation (that will circulate at least 10 times the volume of air in the room every hour). If you are going to have more than one, you need plenty of dither balls and dogs, plastic light fixtures and high ceilings. They will stress and get somnolent and rebellious if they aren't fed plenty of carbs and meat...

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From what im hearing in the thread im pretty confident that my stand should be able to handle itself! Made it a bit bigger than the tank, and attached a 2x4 to the back for a little extra stability, plus I can anchor that to the wall and still have room for a filter and such (please ignore the different stain on the shelf, i ran out and got a little cheap so i just used some other stain i had lying around lol). Although i agree, teens have questionable ethics when it comes to fish lives so I might put this tank up in a different room...

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I was a teen I was spending the night with a friend and I shot his dads prize fish with a pellet gun. It was a sailfish that was mounted on the wall. His dad never noticed but we knew. My buddy died a few years back and I was talking to his daughter and she said "Oh, you're the guy who shot Pawpaws fish!".
Boys are gonna boy.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just told my kids the fish bite. I had an a big Oscar so it wasn't a lie. Lol. That thing hurt when it bit you. They stayed away from the tanks.

Jrad

Reaction score

Fishwifery

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just told my kids the fish bite. I had an a big Oscar so it wasn't a lie. Lol. That thing hurt when it bit you. They stayed away from the tanks.
That reminds me of a babysitter we had who had a huge tank for Oscars. We were fascinated by it. Apparently she had zero qualms about other people's kids in the house around it but she was rather neglectful.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom