How To Add Plants To Cycling Tank.

1. Phillip J. Fry

Phillip J. Fry New Member Member

Im still in the middle of cycling my tank and I have a few live things coming in the mail. I posted before about marimo balls and was informed they will survive just fine. But I now have javamoss on a bamboo stick and a baby leaf fern and I was curious how I can quarantine them before I put them in the tank.(one person claimed there were hydra hitchhiking on the javamoss) and how well they would go through the cycling process. Do I soak them in untreated tap water for a bit? What's the best way to make sure the java moss won't take over my tank (if It does that) At the moment, my nitrate lvls are 20ppm do I need to lower that a bit for the plants? And ideas on how to weigh down the fern and clean around it would be very appreciated. I have a gravel substrate. And I attached screen shots of the items. Screenshot_20180520-142426_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20180520-142220_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20180520-142111_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

If you aren't worried about hitchhikers, go ahead and place them directly into the aquarium. Hydra aren't common but do show up sometimes, normally the main pest is snails. I personally go with tissue cultured plants to avoid pests, but if you already bought the plants, i would do a bleach dip. your going to put 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. Since your plants are a bit hardier i would soak them for only 3 minutes, then rinse with water. The java moss probably won't take over the aquarium. For the odd reason it does because you have high lighting, co2, and high ferts, then just trim it everyonce in a while. However with a low tech system, it won't grow mutch at all. As for the bolbitis diformis, treat this like java fern and tie it to a rock or piece of wood. The rhizome will rot if you burry it in the substrate.

3. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

Phillip J. Fry New Member Member

What's aquarium safe that I can use as a tie?

4. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Alot of people use cotton thread which breaks down overtime. For mosses, you can use super glue which is aquarium safe and mesh baggs.