How to add next fish?

obusweetT

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up my 20gal tank. It is currently cycled but I am adding the fish slowly. I have three peppered cories and will be adding two ottos very soon. The crowning jewel of the tank is going to be 6 threadfin rainbows. I've read that it is best to add fish of the same species at the same time but I am concerned about adding that many fish at once. Would it be best to add them all together and risk an NH3 spike or should I add them in sets of three and worry about them fighting? Also, I don't know if it matters much but the tank is heavily planted. Thanks!

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
The otos aren't really gonna make much of a difference to your bio load when you add them. They will do better with 3 instead of 2. If your tank is heavily planted, it might be okay to add the rainbows all at once and just experience a slight spike in ammonia and/or nitrites. Dino would probably know better, and I will alert him to this thread.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Add all of them at the same time.
Even as full grown adults, the fish you mentioned will not be a heavy load for a cycled 20 gallon.
By adding a species at a time, you should not see any harmful spikes.
I agree with Gunnie, go with 3 ottos.

Dino

OP
O

obusweetT

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I'll definitely put in a third otto with the others. Thanks again!

New Threads