How To Add Fish

1. berri

berri New Member Member

If I wanted to add, say cory fish or danios. They say it is best to do so with no less than 6 of them. But, I also read where you should only add up to maybe 3 new fish at a time. How do you do that if you need to add at least 6 for schooling fish?

2. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

So, right now your tank is cycled for one fish. Adding any more than half a fish (read one fish, half the size of your shark) will cause a mini cycle. Adding too much at once (like 3 more messy 3" fish) can cause lethal spikes in Ammonia and Nitrite.
    There are many ways around this, but it comes down to monitoring. Have Prime on hand, maybe some zeolite as well, and test your water at least daily for the first 8-10 days. Water changes during a mini cycle will remove poisons, but can also slow down the process.

3. Gundy1024

Gundy1024 Valued Member Member

What size tank are we talking about and is your tank well cycled?

4. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

it is a 60 gallon tank and all the water test samples are normal.

5. Mick Frost

Size of tank matters too, 6 small Corys shouldn't be an issue. I do recommend getting a proper test kit.

6. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

One thing too, I tend to not feed my fish for about 24 hours after adding them, since that's just adding MORE bioload. That helps.

And yeah 6 cories in a 60 gallon should not be an issue.

7. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

what is wrong with my test kit? It is API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

8. Mick Frost

Not much. The way I read it, it sounded like you were taking your water in. The API will do fine.

9. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

Results from my test kits says: pH = 7.0; Ammonia = 0; Nitrite = 0; and Nitrate = 5 ppm

10. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Seems cycled then!

I would go with the cories first. I like to stock from the bottom up.

It would be bottom feeders first week, then middle dwellers the next weeks, then top dwellers for the next weeks.

11. OP
    OP
    berri

berri New Member Member

I am still thinking about it. I am not sure my shark would want company. Had the tank to herself since she was a smaller mite.